WELCOME TO THE CENTER FOR ACADEMIC AND TUTORIAL SERVICES (CATS)
CATS is the University of Kentucky’s renowned academic support program for student-athletes.
“Welcome to the University of Kentucky and to the CATS program. For over 40 years we have provided comprehensive, individualized academic support for our Wildcat student-athletes. Our veteran staff is excited to support you as you transition to the University and work toward achieving your long-term goals and dreams. Go CATS!” — Dr. Paul Downey, Associate Athletic Director for Academics
THE CATS ADVANTAGE
- The Center for Academic and Tutorial Services is unique in that it is located in close proximity to the central academic campus. This means that student-athletes have ready access to CATS before, after, and between classes
- Most universities provide tutors upon request. Usually a student requests a tutor after poor performance in a course. At UK, the advisors examine the student-athlete’s schedule at the beginning of the semester then assign tutors immediately. This can help prevent the student-athlete from falling behind
- Whereas most universities may have a study table where a tutor meets with a group of students for certain subject needs, CATS provides scheduled 1-on-1 tutor sessions for student-athletes
- Another CATS Program advantage is that the Jerry Claiborne Study Center allows student-athletes to complete their required quiet study hours anytime during operating hours
- Student-athletes may make arrangements to use CATS resources during non-working hours
- CATS has a cadre of mentors, many of whom are retired educators, to assist student-athletes with organizational skills and study strategies.
Hours of Operation
- 8am-10pm Monday through Thursday
- 8am-5pm on Friday
- 12pm-10pm on Sunday
Student-athletes may make arrangements to use CATS resources during non-working hours.