LEXINGTON, Ky. – Alex Goff, a senior on the Kentucky men’s golf team, is set to get NCAA Auburn Regional competition underway Monday at the Auburn University Club in Auburn, Alabama. Three rounds will be played Monday through Wednesday, with Goff teeing it up as an individual for the Wildcats.
Coming out of the six Regional sites, a total of 30 qualifying teams and six individuals not on those qualifying teams will advance to the finals, held May 26-31 at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Goff, a Second-Team All-Southeastern Conference selection, has previously participated in two NCAA Regionals, finishing in a tie for 18th as an individual at 1-under-par at the Noblesville Regional as a sophomore and posting a tie for 23rd at 1-over-par as a junior last season at the Columbus Regional. In his six NCAA Regional rounds, Goff has carded a 71.83 scoring average, 0.33 strokes above par.
Alex Goff is Auburn bound! The senior has been selected to participate in the NCAA Auburn Regional May 15-17 at Auburn University Club.
— Kentucky Men’s Golf (@UKmensgolf) May 3, 2023
Goff has put together a standout senior season, leading the Wildcats with a 70.60 scoring average, with a team high four top 10 finishes and eight in the top 20. The Kings Mountain, North Carolina native has played 30 rounds over 10 tournaments, with 28.3 of those 30 rounds counting toward the team tally. Goff has recorded a team-high 22 rounds of par or better, including a team-best 19 under-par, and has three second-place finishes in his last six tournaments, including an 8-under-par 202 at the SEC Championship last month.
Not only is Alex Goff leading the Wildcats in several statistical categories, many of his numbers rank favorably among Kentucky golfers dating back to the 1993-94 season. Consider:
– Through his first 30 rounds of the season, Goff’s 70.60 scoring average and -0.80 strokes versus par are the best among Wildcats in that era, besting J.B. Holmes’ 71.29 average, -0.13 strokes against par, in his 2003-04 All-America campaign.
– Goff’s 84.1% finish percentage ranks second behind Holmes’ 93.2% finish percentage in 2003-04 narrowly ahead of Holmes’ 83.5% finish percentage in 2001-02.
– Goff’s season par-4 scoring average is best in program history at 4.0000, besting Holmes’ 4.0234 in 2003-04.
– His 4.6945 par-5 averages sits third while his 3.0601 par-3 average ranks fifth.
– Goff’s 7-under 65 in the second round of the Hootie at Bulls Bay this year is tied for the fourth-lowest round for a Wildcat since 1993-94. Four different players, including Goff at the Vanderbilt Legends Collegiate in 2021-22, have carded a 64. The 7-under-par round is one of a dozen by Wildcats since 1993-94, marking the best score versus par.
– For his career, Goff’s 71.72 scoring average through 102 rounds, ranks best of any Wildcat, ahead of Chip McDaniel’s 72.02 average in 137 rounds from 2015-18.