KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
ALABAMA at KENTUCKY
RUPP ARENA at CENTRAL BANK CENTER
JAN. 12, 2021
Final Score: RV/24 Alabama 85, Kentucky 65
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky ended a three-game winning streak and is now 4-7 overall, 3-1 in the Southeastern Conference.
- Alabama has won six in a row and is 10-3 overall, 5-0 in league play.
- Kentucky leads the series 114-39. UK leads 58-11 in games played in Lexington, ending an eight-game win streak at home vs. the Tide.
- Next: UK plays at Auburn on Saturday. Game time is 2 p.m. EST (1 p.m. CST in Auburn) and will be televised on ESPN.
Isaiah Jackson tallied a season-high 14 points, his first double-figure game as a Wildcat, sparked by making 8 of 10 at the foul line.
- He added six rebounds, tying for the team lead, and blocked seven shots, one off his career high.
- Devin Askew had 12 points, his fifth double-figure game of the season.
- Keion Brooks Jr. had 10 points and has scored in double figures both games since his return from injury.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 334-84 at UK.
- Calipari has a 779-224 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 271-49 under Calipari against teams unranked in the Associated Press Top 25.
- Kentucky won the rebounding 44-36, leading to a 21-11 advantage in second-chance points.
- UK continued its recent good free throw shooting, making 19 of 24 for 79.2%.
- The 20-point margin was the largest home defeat since a 23-point loss to Indiana (75-52) at Rupp Arena on Dec. 20, 1988.
- It was also Alabama’s largest margin of victory in Rupp Arena.
In the First Half
The starting lineup consisted of Devin Askew, Davion Mintz, Brandon Boston Jr., Keion Brooks Jr. and Olivier Sarr for the first time this season.
- Jacob Toppin and Dontaie Allen were the first substitutes at the 14:59 mark.
- Alabama opened a pair of early six-point leads and never trailed in the game, although Kentucky tied it once at 17 each.
- Alabama was ahead 23-22 when a 10-0 run made it 33-22.
- The Crimson Tide led by as many as 14 points at 42-28 before settling for a 42-30 edge at half.
- Alabama made 10 of 22 3-pointers in the first half, already tying the most 3s a UK opponent has made in a game this season.
- Askew, who scored UK’s first six points, and Allen led UK in the first half with eight apiece.
- UK is 2-4 this season when trailing at intermission.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky opened the second half with Askew, Mintz, Boston, Brooks and Sarr.
- Alabama stretched the lead to 17 points at 53-36.
- Kentucky rallied within 11 points at 54-43 but got no closer.
- Alabama’s lengthened the lead to 20 points at 67-47.
- The Wildcats put together an 8-0 run and pulled within 12 points twice, at 67-55 and 69-57.
- Alabama scored the last five points of the game and matched its largest lead with the final score of 85-65.