KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY at VANDERBILT
MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM | NASHVILLE, TENN.
FEB. 11, 2020
Final Score: No. 12/12 Kentucky 78, Vanderbilt 64
Team Records and Series Notes
- A dominant second half pushed Kentucky to its third win in a row and a 19-5 record overall.
- UK will remain in at least a tie for the Southeastern Conference lead at 8-2, pending the results of LSU (Tuesday) and Auburn (Wednesday).
- UK is 5-2 in true road games, 4-2 on the SEC road.
- Vanderbilt is 9-15 overall, 1-10 in the league.
- UK leads the series 149-47 and has won eight in a row vs. the Commodores. UK has had to come from behind by at least 10 points in five of those eight wins.
- UK leads 59-29 in Nashville, Tennessee, and has won four in a row in Memorial Gymnasium.
- Next up: Kentucky returns home Saturday as the Wildcats host Ole Miss. Game time is 2 p.m. and it will be televised on ESPN.
Tyrese Maxey had 25 points, four rebounds, two assists and tied a career best with two steals.
- He made a career-high 10 field goals.
- It’s his third game of 25 points or more this season. He also scored 26 vs. Michigan State and 27 vs. Louisville.
- Immanuel Quickley totaled 18 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- He was a sharpshooter on 3 and frees, making 3 of 4 from long range and 7 of 7 at the foul line.
- It is his 13th straight game in double figures.
- Two of his 3-pointers came late to hold off Vanderbilt’s final rally.
- Nick Richards turned in another solid performance with 15 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots.
- UK is 18-1 this season when he scores in double figures.
- His three blocks all occurred in the first 2:05 of the second half to spark Kentucky’s second-half rally.
- Ashton Hagans had 11 points, a career-high 10 rebounds and a game-high eight assists.
- It is his second double-double of the season, third of his career.
- UK is 9-0 in his career when he gets six or more rebounds.
- EJ Montgomery contributed six points, including four key free throws during the second-half surge, and had a strong floor game with nine rebounds and three blocked shots.
Coach John Calipari
- Coaching his 400th game at Kentucky, Calipari is now 324-76 at UK.
- He has a 769-216 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 262-43 against unranked foes under Calipari.
- Kentucky is 145-40 under Calipari in SEC regular-season games.
- He improved to 19-4 all-time vs. Vanderbilt.
- Kentucky limited Vanderbilt to 37.3% from the field.
- UK is 199-19 (.913) under Calipari when keeping the opponent at 40% or less, including 12-3 this season.
- UK won the rebounding 43-32.
- UK is 16-0 this season when claiming the board battle.
- Kentucky has 12 blocked shots, only one shy of the season high vs. Lamar.
- Threes and frees keyed the Wildcats offensively.
- Kentucky made 6 of 9 from 3-point range.
- 66.7% is a season high.
- Entering the game at 78.7% at the foul line, the Wildcats had another solid performance at 84.2% (16 of 19).
- It is UK’s sixth straight game shooting 80% or better and the Cats are 85.1% during that span.
- Kentucky led by as many as 15 points during the game. UK is 279-7 under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points during the game.
In the First Half
The starting lineup consisted of Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards for the 10th time this season. The Wildcats are 8-2 with the lineup.
- Keion Brooks Jr. was UK’s first substitute at the 15:17 mark.
- Vanderbilt jumped out to a 7-1 lead, with Hagans’ free throw UK’s first score.
- The Commodores eventually stretched their largest lead to 14 points at 34-20 and 36-22.
- Kentucky kept VU scoreless the final 3:50 while scoring the final five points of the half.
- Vanderbilt went to intermission ahead 36-27.
- UK is now 3-3 this season when trailing at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the opening lineup.
- UK got the first four points of the half to cut the lead to 36-31.
- VU stretched it back out to nine points at 44-35.
- A 13-2 run pulled the Wildcats into their first lead of the game, 48-46, with 11:15 on the clock.
- A Maxey 3-pointer and two Montgomery free throws completed the spurt at 18-2, giving UK a 53-46 lead.
- UK pushed the lead to 11 at 59-48.
- Vanderbilt rallied with a 9-3 run to get it back within 62-57 but would get no closer.
- After the under-4:00 timeout, two straight 3-pointers by Quickley and a drive by Hagans provided a 13-point cushion at 70-57.
- All totaled, UK won the second half 51-28.
- Including the final five points of the first half, UK finished the game on a 56-28 surge.