Kentucky Swimmers to Race at Phillips 66 National Championships
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky swimming will have a total of 11 athletes competing in this week’s Phillips 66 National Championships, June 27 to July 1, at the Indiana University Natatorium.
A group of seven Kentucky women (Caroline Benda, Torie Buerger, Megan Drumm, Bridget Engel, Grace Frericks, Olivia Mendenhall and Denise Phelan), along with four Wildcat men (Nick Caruso, Ryan Merani, Jackson Mussler and Levi Sandidge), are entered in the National Championship event, combining for 26 entries overall. Buerger, Caruso, Drumm, Engel, Phelan and Sandidge lead the way with three entries apiece.
The event, run by USA Swimming, will serve as the U.S. National Team selection event for the 2023 World Championships, 2023 World Junior Championships, LEN U23 Championships and the 2023 Pan American Games.
The daily schedule consists of preliminary swims beginning at 10 a.m., followed by finals at 7 p.m. Broadcast coverage of finals will be available on USASwimming.org, as well as Peacock, each night.
Among the notable names slated to compete are world record holders, Hunter Armstrong, Caleb Dressel, Lilly King and Katie Ledecky. In all, 38 Olympians, 31 Olympic medalists and 21 American record holders are on the psych sheet.
- Men’s 200 Butterfly: Jackson Mussler, Ryan Merani
- Women’s 800 Freestyle: Megan Drumm, Caroline Benda
- Men’s 1500 Freestyle: Levi Sandidge, Nick Caruso
- Women’s 200 Breaststroke: Denise Phelan, Bridget Engel, Olivia Mendenhall
- Women’s 200 Backstroke: Torie Buerger, Grace Frericks
- Men’s 200 Backstroke: Jackson Mussler
- Men’s 400 IM: Ryan Merani, Levi Sandidge
- Women’s 50 Breaststroke: Denise Phelan, Bridget Engel
- Women’s 50 Backstroke: Torie Buerger
- Women’s 400 Freestyle: Megan Drumm
- Men’s 400 Freestyle: Nick Caruso
- Women’s 100 Breaststroke: Denise Phelan, Bridget Engel
- Women’s 100 Backstroke: Torie Buerger
- Women’s 1500 Freestyle: Caroline Benda, Megan Drumm
- Men’s 800 Freestyle: Levi Sandidge, Nick Caruso