Kentucky-Vanderbilt Postgame Notes
KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
BRIDGESTONE ARENA | NASHVILLE, TENN.
MARCH 10, 2023
Final Score: RV/RV Vanderbilt 80, No. 23/24 Kentucky 73
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 21-11 overall.
- Vanderbilt is 20-13 overall and has won 10 of its last 11 games.
- Kentucky leads the overall series, 155-49. VU leads 6-5 in SEC Tournament games.
- The teams split during the regular season — Kentucky winning 69-53 at Vanderbilt on January 24 and VU winning 68-66 in Rupp Arena on March 1.
- Next for the Wildcats: Kentucky returns to Lexington to await Sunday’s NCAA Selection Show.
Kentucky in the SEC Tournament
- Kentucky is now 135-29 all-time in the SEC Tournament.
- UK is 46-12 in the quarterfinal round of the tourney but tonight ended a seven-game win streak in the quarters.
- UK won the rebounding 43-26, leading to a 20-4 advantage in second-chance points.
- UK is 21-6 this season when winning the rebounding.
- Kentucky led by as many as 10 points. UK is 328-14 (95.9%) under John Calipari when leading by at least 10 points at some time during the game.
- UK had two 20-point scorers for the seventh time this season. UK is 5-2 in those games.
- UK had two players with double-doubles. It is the fifth time this season, UK is 4-1 in those games.
- Antonio Reeves had 22 points, his ninth 20-point game of the season.
- Jacob Toppin had 21 points and 11 rebounds, his eighth double-double of the season. This was UK’s first loss of the season when he had a double-double.
- He has scored double figures in 14 of the last 15 games.
- Oscar Tshiebwe collected 19 points and 15 rebounds.
- This is his 19th double-double of the season and 47th in 64 games at Kentucky.
- Cason Wallace returned from injury and played 37 minutes, totaling seven points, four rebounds and five assists.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari has an 831-252 all-time on-court record and is 386-112 in 14 seasons at UK.
- UK is 317-64 (83.2%) against unranked competition under Calipari.
- Calipari is 168-57 (74.7%) as a collegiate head coach in games played in March and April.
- Calipari is 25-6 vs. Vanderbilt, all coming at Kentucky.
In the First Half
- Kentucky starters were Cason Wallace, Antonio Reeves, Chris Livingston, Jacob Toppin and Oscar Tshiebwe for the sixth time. This lineup has a 4-2 record.
- CJ Fredrick was the first substitute at the 16:17 mark.
- Trailing 4-2, Kentucky went on a 12-0 run – finished with a pair of 3-pointers by Reeves – for a 14-4 lead and coax a Vanderbilt timeout at 13:42 on the clock.
- Trailing 34-27 with 3:00 to go, Vanderbilt ended the half on a 12-0 run to take a 39-34 lead into halftime.
- Reeves led UK in the first half with 11 points. Toppin had nine points and 10 rebounds.
- UK is now 3-11 this season when trailing at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the starting lineup.
- VU got the first basket of the half to complete the run at 14-0 and go ahead 41-34.
- VU eventually stretched the lead to 52-40.
- UK came back with a 6-0 run to cut the lead to 52-46.
- Trailing 63-52 with nine minutes left, an 8-0 run narrowed the gap to 63-60, but with 6:30 to go, VU hit a desperation 3-pointer at the expiration of the shot clock.
- UK got back within four points on four occasions but got no closer.