Tech-xpertise: Kentucky Run-Rules Tennessee Tech
Chase Estep drove in four runs and Oraj Anu had a career night as Kentucky scored a 13-0 run-rule victory in seven innings over Tennessee Tech on Tuesday evening. It was UK’s first shutout victory of the season.
The Wildcats (28-23) now turn their attention to regular season-closing three-game series with No. 18 Auburn that opens Thursday. The Cats control their own destiny in the race for Hoover and have a magic number of two to reach the Southeastern Conference’s postseason event.
Estep delivered a three-run double and Anu tied his career high for both hits and RBI, falling only a home run short of the cycle for the Cats. Daniel Harris IV extended his hit streak to 12 games and Jake Plastiak smacked a pair of doubles as well.
In the game, UK had six doubles and a triple, as well as a pair of stolen bases while scoring in each of the first five innings.
- UK has scored in 292 of 297 games under Coach Nick Mingione.
- Mingione now has 171 all-time wins at UK; four behind mentor John Cohen for third on UK list.
- UK is 18-6 in non-conference games this season and 109-36 in the Mingione era, including 95-14 vs. non-Power Five foes.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 516 in 51 games.
Junior IF Chase Estep reached base safely in 47 of the 51 games this season.
- He has 12 multi-RBI games this season and 16 in his career.
Senior OF Oraj Anu went 3-for-4 with a triple, double and four RBI.
- Anu tied his career high with three hits.
- He also tied his career best with four RBI.
- He has eight multi-hit games this season and 26 in his career.
- He has six multi-RBI games this season and 16 in his career.
- He has a hit in 9 of 10 games since returning returning to the starting lineup on April 26.
Senior IF Daniel Harris IV now has a 12-game hit streak.
- He extended his on-base streak to 15 games.
- He also stole his 13th base in 14 attempts and is 44-of-49 on his career.
- Junior IF Ryan Ritter extended his reached base safely streak to 12.
- He stole a bag and now is 21-on-21 on his career.
- Redshirt Freshman C Devin Burkes has reached safely in 7 straight games.
- Senior IF Jake Plastiak went 2-for-2 with two RBI and two doubles.
- He has 12 doubles on the season.
- He has 16 multi-hit games this season and 19 in his career.
- He has 11 multi-RBI games this season and 15 in his career.
Kentucky will host No. 18 Auburn to open the final SEC series of the season on Thursday evening. First pitch is 6:30 p.m. ET on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.