The Terminal: Cats Fly High In Run Rule Victory Over Dayton
Kentucky scored five runs in the first inning, struck out 14 and used Chase Estep’s team-leading 12th home run to deliver a 12-1 victory over Dayton in seven innings on Tuesday evening at Kentucky Proud Park.
The Wildcats (23-18) scored early and often, putting up a five-spot with two outs in the opening inning before Estep delivered his blow an inning later and then capping it with a four-run fourth. Catcher Devin Burkes reached base all three times he came to the plate in just his second career start.
Meanwhile, starter Magdiel Cotto fanned five in three innings, Wyatt Hudepohl added six in two innings and Jackson Nove struck out the side in his one inning of work. Evan Byers closed things out with a scoreless inning.
UK will head to Florida this weekend in another Southeastern Conference series.
- UK has scored in 283 of 287 games in coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- UK is 17-6 in non-conference games this season and 108-36 in the Mingione era, including 94-14 vs. non-Power Five foes.
- UK stole four bases and is 51-of-56 on stolen base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 430 in 41 games, 10.5 per game.
- Junior INF Chase Estep went 2-for-3 with two runs, a steal and a three-run homer.
- He has reached base safely in 38 of 41 games this season.
- He hit his 12th home run.
- He has 14 multi-hit games this season and 25 in his career.
- He has 10 multi-RBI games this season and 14 career.
- He has 99 career hits.
- He now is 13-of-16 on steals this season.
- Senior OF Oraj Anu went 2-for-3 with three RBI in his first start since getting injured on March 9.
- He has six multi-hit games this season and 22 career.
- Redshirt Freshman C Devin Burkes reached all three times he came to the plate in just his second career start.
- Junior IF Ryan Ritter stole base and now is 19-for-19 in his career.
Kentucky will travel to Florida for a series that begins Friday night. First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. ET on the SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.