Daniels, You’re the Stars: Harper, Harris IV Prod UK to Win
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Daniel Harper pitched three scoreless innings and Daniel Harris IV had three hits, including a two-run knockout blow in the eighth inning, as Kentucky evened its series with Texas A&M with a 7-3 victory at Blue Bell Park on Friday night.
UK has won seven of the past nine contests in College Station.
UK (19-12, 4-7 SEC) took an early 4-0 lead with a mix of line drives and good fortune. An A&M error led to a run in the second inning before the Cats got three in the third. Hunter Jump led off with a well-struck single before Daniel Harris IV drove his fourth hit in five at-bats to left field and Chase Estep walked to load the bases. Adam Fogel smashed a liner through the left side to score a pair and Jacob Plastiak added another when he smacked a ground ball off the third baseman’s glove.
The Aggies battled back to within one at 4-3 before the Cats added insurance runs with a three-run eighth inning that included massive two-out hits by Hunter Jump and Harris. That gave reliever Tyler Guilfoil (4.0 IP, 0 runs. 8 K) breathing room to earn his third save of the season and make a winner out of Harper.
- UK has scored in 274 of 277 games in coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- Mingione has 162 wins, fifth on UK’s all-time list. He needs two wins to move into fourth.
- UK is 42-of-46 on stole base attempts this season and 7-of-7 in the series.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 338 in 31 games.
- UK is 4-5 on the road this season.
- Senior RHP Daniel Harper made his 87th career appearance, fifth in school history. He needs five more to move into a tie for fourth with Josh Paxton (1997-2000)
- Junior RHP Tyler Guilfoil struck out eight and allowed just three hits in 4.0 innings.
- He threw a UK career-high 59 pitches.
- Junior INF Chase Estep has reached base safely in 30 of 31 games this season.
- Senior OF Adam Fogel had a pair of hits and drove in two.
- He has seven multi-hit games this season.
- He has three multi-RBI games this season.
Senior OF Hunter Jump has reached base safely in 10 straight games.
- He has 11 multi-hit games this season.
- Senior IF Daniel Harris IV went 3-for-5 with a run, two RBI and a steal.
- He now has eight multi-hit games.
- He has four multi-RBI games.
- Senior OF John Thrasher tied his UK career-long with a four-game hit streak.
Kentucky concludes its series at Texas A&M on Saturday. First pitch on Friday is at 4 p.m. ET on the SEC Network. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.