Ryan Ritter Hits Leadoff Homer for Third Time in Four Games
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Ryan Ritter mashed the first pitch of the game for a leadoff home run, his third in the past four games, but Indiana scored in every inning and rapped 15 extra-base hits, including six home runs, on the way to a 20-7 victory at Bart Kaufman Field on Tuesday. It the most runs allowed since 2005.
Sophomore Seth Logue suffered his first rough outing in four starts, giving up seven runs on seven hits in 2.0 innings. He allowed three doubles and three home runs, including two by Matthew Ellis in as many at-bats.
Ritter took advantage of the wind blowing out and unseasonably warm temperatures that made the ballpark play small, blasting a shot to left-centerfield as part of a four-run first inning for the Wildcats (14-4). The Cats got a bases-loaded triple from Daniel Harris IV and three-run double from Alonzo Rubalcaba but couldn’t hold down the Hoosiers’ bats.
UK must rebound quickly, as it heads to No. 3 Arkansas this weekend as it opens the 30-game Southeastern Conference gauntlet.
- Kentucky now is 105-34 vs. non-conference opponents during coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 197 in 18 games.
Junior IF Chase Estep went 2-for-5.
- He has a career-long and team-best 16-game hit streak.
- He has a 17-game reached base safely streak.
- He has 10 multi-hit games this season and 21 for his career.
Junior IF Ryan Ritter went 1-for-5 with a solo home run.
- He led off the game with a home run on the first pitch, the third time in four games he has hit a leadoff homer.
- Senior OF Adam Fogel has a six-game hit streak.
- Senior IF Jacob Plastiak has reached base safely in 21 straight games.
- Senior OF Hunter Jump reached base four times, including two walks and a hit by pitch.
- He has reached base safely in 16 straight games.
- Senior IF Daniel Harris IV has a 16-game reached base safely streak.
- He had a bases loaded triple in the first.
- He now has six multi-hit and a pair of multi-RBI games this season.
- Senior C Alonzo Rubalcaba went 1-for-4 with a double and three RBI.
- He has an 11-game reached base safely streak.
- He had a bases loaded double, giving him six multi-RBI games this season.
Kentucky opens SEC play this weekend at No. 3 Arkansas. First pitch on Friday is at 7:30 p.m. ET on the SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network (98.5 FM).