Private Ryan: Ritter Goes Nuts in Doubleheader Sweep
Ryan Ritter led off both games with solo home runs, his first of the season, and Kentucky swept a Friday doubleheader at Kentucky Proud Park to move to 13-3 on the season. It is the best start to a season since the 2018 club opened 14-2.
Ritter had a double, triple and two homers as part of a five-hit afternoon, has reached safely in 19 consecutive games and now has eight multi-hit efforts this season. Chase Estep had two home runs in the doubleheader and four in the past five games and now owns a 14-game hit streak as the reigning Southeastern Conference Player of the Week.
Ten different Wildcats had hits on the day, as they hit six home runs, six doubles and a triple while drawing 17 bases on balls. The two teams will finish their series on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
- Kentucky now is 104-33 vs. non-conference opponents during coach Nick Mingione’s tenure, including 81-16 at home and 90-13 vs. non-Power Five opponents.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 174 in 16 games.
Junior IF Chase Estep hit his sixth and seventh home runs of the season.
- He has a career-long and team-best 14-game hit streak.
- He has a 15-game reached base safely streak.
- He is the first Cat to homer in three straight games since Coltyn Kessler in April 2021.
- Senior IF Jacob Plastiak is currently riding a career-long 19-game reached safely streak.
- He has seven multi-RBI games this season and 11 for his career.
Junior IF Ryan Ritter has reached base safely in 19 straight games.
- He hit leadoff home runs in both games of the doubleheader, his first two homers of the season.
- He went 5-for-10 with four extra-base hits, four runs and five RBI.
- Senior OF Adam Fogel went 3-for-5 with two doubles, two RBI and four walks.
- Senior OF Hunter Jump has a 15-game reached base safely streak.
- Senior RHP Darren Williams pitched 4.1 scoreless innings in game two.
Kentucky hosts High Point at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The game will be aired on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network (98.5 FM).