UK ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
WOMEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY VS. VANDERBILT
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2022
MEMORIAL COLISEUM – LEXINGTON, KY.
Kentucky 69, Vanderbilt 65 – FINAL
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 12-11, 5-8 in the SEC this season, while Vanderbilt is 12-15, 3-10 in the league.
- This was the 58th all-time meeting between Kentucky and Vanderbilt.
- The Commodores lead the series all-time 31-27.
- UK leads the series in games played in Lexington, 15-11.
- Kentucky is in its 48th season with a 875-598 (.606) all-time record.
- UK is 510-183 all-time at home (.735). Kentucky is 480-164 (.745) all-time in Memorial Coliseum.
- Kyra Elzy is 21-7 at home as UK’s head coach, including a 19-5 mark inside Memorial Coliseum.
- Kentucky is 10-5 at home this season, including 10-3 in Memorial Coliseum.
- Kyra Elzy is in her second season as the head coach of the Wildcats, holding a 30-20 overall record.
- Kentucky will be back in action Sunday, Feb. 20 at Arkansas inside Bud Walton Arena. The game will tip at 2 p.m. ET on SEC Network and the UK Sports Network.
- Kentucky used the starting combination of senior guards Rhyne Howard and Jazmine Massengill, sophomore forward Treasure Hunt and Nyah Leveretter, and freshman guard Jada Walker.
- This is the second time that UK has used this starting combination this season. UK is 2-0 with this combination.
- Rhyne Howard scored first for Kentucky in the game. It was the team-leading seventh time this season she has scored first.
- Dre’una Edwards was the first sub for Kentucky. It was the fourth time she has been the first Wildcat off the bench.
- Nyah Leveretter won the opening tip. It was the ninth time that UK has won the opening tip and the first time for Leveretter.
- The Wildcats started the game with a 3-pointer by Rhyne Howard before Vanderbilt went on a 10-0 run to take a 10-3 lead. UK answered with five straight points to cut the lead to 10-8 at 4:21 in the first quarter.
- Vandy hit six of its first seven shots in the game as UK had eight turnovers in its first 14 possessions.
- Vanderbilt outscored Kentucky 18-17 in the first quarter thanks to forcing UK into nine turnovers and scoring nine points off those errors.
- Five of UK’s first six baskets were assisted and four of those were 3-poitners.
- VU had 12 paint points in the first quarter, while UK only had two.
- Vanderbilt took a 36-34 lead into the break at halftime.
- The Commodores scored 20 first-half points in the paint against the Wildcats and had 13 points off 11 UK turnovers.
- VU was 14-of-23 from the field in the first half, including 3-of-6 from 3.
- Kentucky held Vanderbilt to nine points in the third quarter, taking a 50-45 lead into the fourth quarter.
- VU was 3-of-15 from the field in the third quarter, while UK was 8-of-16.
- Trailing 44-42, Kentucky went on a 8-0 run to take a six-point lead at 50-42 with just over two minutes to go.
- Vanderbilt won the fourth quarter, but Kentucky prevailed to the 69-65 win.
- UK led 62-51 with 5:05 to go in the game before Vanderbilt ended the game on a 14-7 run.
- Both teams had 18 turnovers and scored 21 points off turnovers.
- Vanderbilt won the points in the paint battle, 36-30.
- Kentucky had 21 assists on 26 made field goals.
- This is the second game in a row that UK has had 20 or more assists.
- It is the first time in league play that UK has recorded 20 or more assists in back-to-back games.
- Kentucky hit eight 3s in the game and has hit seven or more 3s in back-to-back games for the first time in league play.
Rhyne Howard scored 17 points with four rebounds, three assists and two steals, adding three 3-pointers.
- For her career, Howard has scored 2,105 career points. Howard ranks second in Kentucky WBB history in points scored with the top spot – Valerie Still, 2,763 – more than likely out of reach. However, Howard could become the second all-time leading scorer in school history – both men’s and women’s – if she scores 34 more points, which would pass Dan Issel, who is the men’s all-time leading scorer at 2,138.
- Howard ranks second in school history in career scoring average at 19.9, while she is third in field-goals made with 732, second in career 3s made with 258 and fourth in career 3-point field-goal percentage at 37.3. She is also fourth in UK history in steals per game at 2.377.
- In 105 career games, Howard has …
- Hit at least one 3 in 91 career games, including 18 times this season.
- Made three or more 3s in 44 career games, including seven this season.
- Made five or more 3s in 14 career games, including twice this season.
- Scored 10+ points in 94 career game, including 20 times this season.
- Scored 15+ points in 78 career games, including 19 times this season.
- Scored 20+ points in 57 career games, including 13 times this season.
- Scored 25+ points in 30 career games, including four times this season.
- Scored 30+ points in 8 career games, including one this season.
- Led UK in scoring in 68 career games, including 14 times this season.
- Led UK in rebounding in 58 career games, including 13 times this season.
- Led UK in assists in 39 career games, including 10 times this season.
- Led UK in steals in 46 career games, including 15 times this season.
- Led UK in blocks in 42 career games, including 11 times this season.
- Has 25 career double-doubles, including eight this season.
- Has 1 triple double.
- Dre’una Edwards scored 20 points with seven rebounds, adding two steals and one block in the game.
- Edwards has scored 10 or more points in 15 games this season, including 20+ in seven games.
- UK is 7-0 this season when she scored 20 or more points.
- This is the first time in Edwards’ career she has scored 20 or more points in three straight games.
- Edwards has led UK in scoring seven times this season.
- Jazmine Massengill scored 10 points with nine assists in the game.
- Massengill’s nine assists tied a season best.
- This is the eighth time that Massengill has scored 10 or more points.
- Jada Walker scored 11 points, hitting three 3s.
- Walker has scored 10 or more points 13 times this season.
- She has hit three or more 3s twice, including back-to-back games.
- Walker has had at least one steal in six games.