UK ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
WOMEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
NO. 14 KENTUCKY AT OLE MISS
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 20
THE PAVILION AT OLE MISS – OXFORD, MISS.
No. 14 Kentucky 94, Ole Miss 52 – FINAL
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 20-5 overall and 9-4 in the Southeastern Conference, keeping the Wildcats tied for third place in the league. Ole Miss is 7-19 (0-13 SEC).
- Kentucky is 843-545 all-time, including 238-274 all-time in road games.
- UK is 7-3 away from home this season, including 4-3 in league play on the road.
- This was the 42nd all-time meeting between Kentucky and Ole Miss in women’s basketball.
- The Rebels lead the all-time series in games played 23-19, including a 13-8 mark in games played in Oxford.
- Kentucky has three of the last four meetings in the series, including two straight meetings in Oxford.
- Matthew Mitchell is 10-4 against Ole Miss as Kentucky’s head coach.
- Matthew Mitchell is in his 13th season as the head coach of the Wildcats.
- Mitchell is 331-159 overall in his career and 301-130 during his tenure at Kentucky.
- Kentucky is ranked 14th in the latest AP Top 25 and 16th in the latest USA Today/Coaches Top 25.
- The Wildcats will return to action Sunday when they play host to No. 1 South Carolina inside Memorial Coliseum. The game will tip at 2 p.m. ET on ESPN2. General admission tickets are available through ticketmaster.com for just $3 using the promo code Play4Kay.
- Kentucky used the starting combination of senior guards Sabrina Haines and Jaida Roper, sophomore guard Rhyne Howard, junior forward KeKe McKinney and senior forward Ogechi Anyagaligbo.
- This was the third time this season that UK has used this starting combination, sitting 2-1.
- Jaida Roper scored first for Kentucky in the game. This was the third time this season that she has been the first Wildcat to score.
- After Ole Miss scored the first seven points of the game, Coach Mitchell called timeout and UK responded by finishing the first quarter on an 18-3 run. UK took an 18-10 lead at the end of the first quarter and never trailed again.
- Kentucky shot 50.7 percent from the field, the third time this season that the Wildcats have made at least half their shots and the first time against an SEC opponent.
- Kentucky went 11 of 23 (.478) from the 3-point line in the game and has hit 10 or more 3s in 12 games this season.
- UK has 210 3-pointers this season, which ranks fourth most in program history.
- Kentucky also shot it well at the foul line, making 13 of 14 free throws for 92.9 percent.
- Kentucky’s 42-point margin was its largest SEC win of the season. UK has won five of its nine league games by 10 points or more.
- Kentucky dominated the rebounding 40-26, leading to a 13-1 edge in second-chance points.
- UK scored 31 points off turnovers, marking the 20th time this season the Wildcats have scored 20 or more points off turnovers.
- The Wildcats forced 21 turnovers in the game, marking the 17th time this season they have forced 20 or more turnovers.
- Kentucky has secured a winning record in league play for the 11th time in 13 years under Matthew Mitchell.
- Kentucky has earned another 20-win season under Matthew Mitchell, the 10th in his 13-year tenure.
- This is the 20th time in 46 seasons that UK has won 20 or more games.
- Kentucky is 356-24 all-time when it scores 80 or more points, including 110-6 under Matthew Mitchell.
Sophomore guard Rhyne Howard paced the Wildcats with 21 points, seven rebounds and five steals.
Howard has 1,033 career points, moving up to 31st all-time in scoring in program history.
- Howard moved past Sandy Harding, Janee Thompson, Laura Meadows and Debbie Miller tonight.
- Howard has hit 140 career 3-pointers, which ranks eighth most in program history.
- Howard needs 22 more makes from 3 to tie Jenny Pfeffier for seventh all-time on that list at 162 makes.
- Howard has hit 66 3-pointers this season, tying Sara Potts (2003-04) for eighth place on the single-season list.
- Howard has now scored 20 or more points in 16 games and 25 or more points in 10 games.
- Howard has scored 20 or more points in 11 of her last 12 games.
- This was the 17th time this season and 33rd time in her career that Howard has led UK in scoring.
- This was the 11th time this season and 30th career time that Howard has led UK in rebounds.
- In 54 career games, Howard has recorded some impressive numbers:
- Hit at least one 3 in 48 career games
- Made three or more 3s in 23 games
- Made five or more 3s in 9 games
- Scored 10+ points in 47 games
- Scored 15+ points in 38 games
- Scored 20+ points in 26 games
- Scored 25+ points in 16 games
- Scored 30+ points in 3 games
- Led UK in scoring in 33 games
- Led UK in rebounding in 30 games
- Senior guard Sabrina Haines tallied 15 points.
- Haines hit double figures for the 16th time this season, 33rd game of her career.
- Haines reached 15 points for the fifth time this season, 11th game of her career.
- Junior guard Chasity Patterson totaled 15 points and a career-high five assists.
- Patterson has scored 10 or more points in eight games this season, including 15 or more in six games.
- Patterson has scored 10 or more points in six straight games.
Senior guard Jaida Roper had 10 points and shared game honors in assists with six.
- Roper has scored 10 or more points in 10 games this season and 24 games in her career.
- Roper has scored 10 or more points in six of her last eight games.
- Roper tied for a team-best six assists in the game and has led UK in assists 11 times this season and 30 times in her career.
- Sophomore guard Blair Green had 10 points, making both of her 3-point tries.
- Green hit double figures for the sixth time this season, ninth game of her career.