UK Baseball: Week Nine In Review
2019 KENTUCKY BASEBALL WEEK NINE IN REVIEW
OVERALL RECORD: 20-16 (4-11 SEC)
WEEK RECORD: 3-1 (2-1 SEC)
April 10 – W, 6-2, at Lipscomb
April 12 – L, 2-8, at #10 Ole Miss
April 14 – W, 4-1 (7 inn.), at #10 Ole Miss
April 14 – W, 4-2 (7 inn.), at #10 Ole Miss
April 16 – vs. #12 Louisville (6:30 p.m. ET; Lexington, Ky.; SECN+)
April 18 – vs. Tennessee (6:30 p.m. ET; Lexington, Ky.; SECN+)
April 19 – vs. Tennessee (6:30 p.m.; Lexington, Ky.; SECN+)
April 20 – vs. Tennessee (2 p.m.; Lexington, Ky.; SECN+)
- Kentucky has scored in 100 consecutive games and 176 of the past 177 dating to the 2016 season. The lone shutout came in a seven-inning game. The current streak now is the third-longest in school history.
- The series win at No. 10 Ole Miss was…
- First on road over Top 10 opponent since 2015 at No. 5 Florida.
- First on road over ranked opponent since April 13-14, 218 at No.18 Georgia.
- First in Oxford since 2013.
Coach Nick Mingione now has 97 career wins, including 36 in SEC play.
- The 97 tie John Cohen for most of any UK head coach in his first three seasons.
- The 36 SEC wins are the most by any UK head coach over that same span.
- Kentucky has played the most games (19) against Top 25 RPI opponents of anyone in the country.
SEC PLAYER OF THE WEEK CANDIDATE
T.J. COLLETT (Jr., 1B/DH)
- Hit .462 with a pair of game-winning home runs for the week.
- Gave the Cats a lead they would not relinquish in both games of Sunday doubleheader at No. 10 Ole Miss.
- The two home runs powered UK to its first SEC series win of the season, first road series win vs. a Top 10 opponent since 2015, first series win at Ole Miss since 2013 and first road series win vs. Top 10 team since exactly one year ago at Georgia.
- In the first game of the doubleheader he drilled a solo shot to CF off Ole Miss freshman star Doug Nikhazy.
- In the second game, he clubbed a three-run shot that broke open a scoreless game.
- Collett now has a team-high nine home runs and 36 RBI on the season.
- For the week, he had two multi-hit games and now has hits in seven of his past eight starts.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK CANDIDATE
AUSTIN SCHULTZ (Fr., IF)
- Schultz doubled off the wall in the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader to provide the Cats an insurance run late in the win over No. 10 Ole Miss.
- Earlier in that series-clinching win he was hit by a pitch to start the three-run inning that broke up Ole Miss’ perfect game and turned out to be the game and series-winning rally.
- Drew a critical walk in the game-winning rally in win at Lipscomb.
- Now has a 26-game reached base safely streak.
- Has a hit in 10 of the past 11 games, including a career-long eight-game streak.
Sophomore LHP Mason Hazelwood earned the win in the opener of Sunday doubleheader vs. No. 10 Ole Miss.
- It was the first SEC start of his career.
- He pitched 5.2 innings, allowing five hits, no runs, one walk and notching three strikeouts.
- Hazelwood lowered his season ERA to 1.75.
- Junior LHP Zack Thompson earned the win in the nightcap.
- Thompson moved to 3-0 on the season and 13-4 for his career. The .765 career winning percentage ranks third in school history.
- With eight strikeouts, Thompson moved into the career top 10 at UK with 220.