UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY vs. ARKANSAS
RUPP ARENA | LEXINGTON, KY.
FEB. 26, 2019
Final Score: No. 4 Kentucky 70, Arkansas 66
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is now 24-4 overall and 13-2 in the Southeastern Conference, remaining in a tie for first place. UK has won 14 of its last 15 games.
- Arkansas is 14-14, 5-10 in league play.
- Kentucky leads the series 32-11 and has won seven in a row.
- UK leads 15-3 in games played in Lexington.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats begin a two-game road trip Saturday at Tennessee. Game time is 2 p.m. and it will be televised on CBS.
In the First Half
- Kentucky started the combination of Ashton Hagans, Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, PJ Washington and EJ Montgomery for the second straight game.
- Kentucky jumped out to a 10-5 lead, but the Wildcats went almost seven minutes without a basket as Arkansas spurted to a 20-12 advantage.
- The Razorbacks stretched the lead to 12 on two occasions, 35-23 and 37-25.
- Arkansas took a 39-28 lead into intermission.
- It is UK’s largest halftime deficit since trailing Duke by 17 points in the season opener.
- The 12 turnovers are UK’s second most in a half this season (14 in the first half vs. Southern Illinois). Arkansas capitalized with a 14-2 advantage in points off turnovers.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky opened with the original starting lineup.
- Arkansas began the second half with a pair of 3-pointers for its biggest lead at 45-30.
- Arkansas’ first four made shots in the second half were all 3-pointers. The Razorbacks missed their first seven two-point attempts of the half, making their first two-point basket with 6:18 remaining.
- Kentucky tied at 51 with 8:10 to play on a jump hook by Washington.
- Herro put the Cats back ahead on a 3-pointer with 7:07 remaining, capping a 24-6 run to make it 54-51.
- An Arkansas 3-pointer by Mason Jones cut the lead to 66-65 with nine seconds left.
- Herro made two free throws with 5.4 seconds left to make it 68-65.
- Arkansas’ Jalen Harris made the first of two free throws with 3.2 seconds left to make it 68-66.
- Immanuel Quickley made two free throws with 1.3 seconds left for final score of 70-66.
- The rally from 15 points down is UK’s biggest comeback of the season.
- The last time UK overcame a 15-point deficit for a victory was Jan. 27, 2018 at West Virginia when the Wildcats rallied from 17 down.
- Arkansas shot 37.7 percent from the field. UK is 178-15 (.922) under Calipari when keeping the opponent at 40 percent or less, including 13-0 this season.
- Kentucky shot 50 percent from the field today, the Wildcats’ 12th game this season of at least 50 percent.
- Kentucky won the rebounding 40-27 and points in the paint 24-22.
- UK is now 21-2 this season when winning/tying the rebounding and 21-3 when prevailing in the paint.
- After 12 turnovers in the first half, UK had only three miscues in the second half.
- Kentucky has won 14 of its last 15 games. During that 15-game span, UK has …
- Limited the opponents to 38 percent from the field.
- Limited the opponents to 32.5 percent from 3-point range.
- Limited the opponents to 60.5 points per game.
Tyler Herro scored a career-high 29 points, featuring a career-best 5 of 6 on 3-pointers. He also chipped in four rebounds, three assists, two steals and a blocked shot.
- UK is 15-0 this season when he scores at least 15.
- UK is 9-0 this season when he makes at least three 3-pointers.
- Keldon Johnson had 13 points, his 21st game this season in double figures.
- Nick Richards scored seven points, hauled down 15 rebounds and blocked three shots.
- It is his second double-figure rebounding game of the season and third of his career.
- UK is 12-0 this season when Richards scores at least four points.
- Calipari is now 299-68 at UK.
- Calipari has a 744-208 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 242-40 vs. AP unranked competition under Calipari.