Kentucky Falls in Series Finale at No. 3 Texas Tech
LUBBOCK, Texas – Kentucky was undone by a wave of self-inflicted wounds early in the game, dropping the series finale 19-4 at No. 3 Texas Tech on a sunny, cool afternoon at Rip Griffin Park.
The Wildcats (3-3) return to Lexington to open Kentucky Proud Park on Tuesday afternoon against Eastern Kentucky. First pitch for the inaugural game in the new $49 million facility is set for 4 p.m. ET with a host of pregame ceremonies preceding the contest.
The Red Raiders took advantage of 13 walks, one error and a hit batter on Sunday, jumping out to a 12-2 lead through four innings against a quartet of freshmen pitchers. The Cats’ young arms did gain valuable experience even on a day when strikes were hard to come by at times.
UK senior outfielder Ryan Shinn was hit by a pitch in each of his first three at bats after torching the Red Raiders the first two games of the series. He entered the game having reached base in seven of his nine at bats in the series, which included three doubles and a home run.
Bottom 1st – Max Marusak singled to RF and moved to second on Dru Baker’s infield single. Josh Jung singled to CF, scoring Marusak. Doug Facendo walked to load the bases. Tanner O’Tremba walked, scoring Baker. Texas Tech 2, UK 0.
Top 2nd – Ryan Shinn was hit by a pitch, Dalton Reed singled to LF and Jaren Shelby walked to load the bases. Austin Schultz hit into a fielder’s choice with Shinn out at home. Zeke Lewis beat out an infield single, scoring Reed. Breydon Daniel was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, scoring Shelby. UK 2, Texas Tech 2.
Bottom 3rd – Facendo walked and moved to third on Dylan Neuse’s double to RF. O’Tremba homered to LF, scoring Facendo and Neuse. Cameron Warren, Braxton Fulford and Baker walked to load the bases. Warren scored on a wild pitch. Jung was intentionally walked to load the bases. Brian Klein singled to LF, scoring Fulford and Baker. Texas Tech 8, UK 2.
Bottom 4th – O’Tremba reached on an error to start the inning. Warren was hit by a pitch and Fulford walked to load the bases. Marusak hit a sacrifice fly to RF, scoring O’Tremba. Baker singled to CF, bringing Warren home. Jung singled to LF, scoring Fulford from second. Klein singled to LCF, scoring Baker. Texas Tech 12, UK 2.
Top 6th – Shinn was hit by a pitch to open the inning, moved to second on a fielder’s choice, to third on a balk and scored on Shelby’s single to LF. Texas Tech 12, UK 3.
Bottom 6th – Jung singled and moved to third on Klein’s double. Neuse singled to CF to score Jung. O’Tremba blooped a single to LF, scoring Klein. Warren hit a sacrifice fly to LF, scoring Neuse. Texas Tech 15, UK 3.
Bottom 7th – Baker singled and Jung walked. Klein singled past 1B, scoring Baker and moving Jung to third. Cody Masters walked to load the bases. Neuse walked to score Jung. O’Tremba singled to LF, scoring Klein and Masters. Texas Tech 19, UK 3.
Top 8th – Orlando Adams Jr. was hit by pitch, stole second and scored on Shelby’s single to RF. Texas Tech 19, UK 4.
- Kentucky has scored in 70 consecutive games and 146 of the past 147 dating to the 2016 season. The lone shutout came in a seven-inning game. The current streak is the eighth-longest in school history.
- Wildcats to make their collegiate debut: RHP Tyler Burchett and 1B Trae Harmon.
- The Wildcats were hit by seven pitches in the game.
Senior OF Ryan Shinn was hit by three pitches, not recording an official at bat. For the series:
- Shinn reached base in 10 of 12 plate appearances on the weekend.
- Shinn hit .750 with three doubles, a home run, four runs scored and three RBI.
- He also was hit by four pitches, including all three plate appearances on Sunday.
- Shinn reached base his first seven times to the plate: 6-of-6, HBP
- Shinn recorded back-to-back three-hit games, tying his career-high both times.
- His three-run homer on Saturday gave the Cats a 5-2 lead at the time.
- He made a highlight-reel diving catch on All-American Josh Jung in the first inning of Friday’s game.
The Cats will open Kentucky Proud Park on Tuesday afternoon against Eastern Kentucky. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET and will be aired on SEC Network Plus. Audio coverage can be found via UKathletics.com.