KENTUCKY BASEBALL POSTGAME NOTES
No. 22 Kentucky at Auburn
May 1, 2016
Plainsman Park, Auburn, Ala.
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 9, Auburn 6
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is now 27-17 overall, 11-10 in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn is 20-24 overall, 7-14 in the SEC
- UK head coach Gary Henderson is 253-191 in his eighth season
- Auburn leads the series, 77-43
- Next for UK: Kentucky plays host to Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday, May 3, at 6:30 p.m.
- Kentucky is 7-8 in away games this season
- UK is 10-1 when facing a left-handed starting pitcher
- UK has a 22-7 record in day games
- UK is 7-2 on Sundays.
- Senior right-hander Kyle Cody made his 11th start of the season.
* Cody went seven strong innings before giving way in the eighth. He finished with 7.1 innings, allowing three runs (two earned) on seven hits, struck out six and walked three.
* With the win, he improved his season record to 5-2. His career record of 16-9 places him 16th on the UK career wins list.
* It was his 39th start of his career, tying him with Tom Deller (1986-89) and Matthew Coleman (1986-89) for 11th place on the UK career starts list.
- Junior third baseman JaVon Shelby led off second inning with a home run but it didn’t come easily. Shelby launched the ball over the left field foul pole and it was originally called foul. Coach Gary Henderson came out of the dugout and appealed the ruling. The umpires looked at the replay and decided to award the homer.
* Shelby hit another homer, this one good for three runs, over the left field wall in the seventh inning.
* They are his eighth and ninth home runs and 22nd extra-base hit of the season, leading the team in both categories.
* It is the third game he has hit two home runs this season, see list below.
* Shelby also made a sparkling defensive play to end the second inning. He dived to his right to glove a hard-hit grounder, slid into foul territory, righted himself and fired a throw that nipped the batter at first base.
* He made his team-leading 148th career start.
- Wildcats with two home runs in a game this season:
* Tristan Pompey vs. Dayton on Feb. 21
* JaVon Shelby vs. Dayton on Feb. 21
* JaVon Shelby vs. Georgia on March 20
* JaVon Shelby vs. Auburn on May 1
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White hit a tie-breaking two-run single in the fifth inning, extending his hitting streak to six games.
* White added an RBI single in the seventh inning, his fourth straight multi-hit game and team-leading 19th multi-hit game of the season.
* He has made a team-leading 96 consecutive starts.
- Junior leftfielder Zach Reks had a pair of singles, his second straight multi-hit game. He added a sacrifice fly in the seventh inning, giving him two RBI for the day
- Junior shortstop Connor Heady had a pair of singles, his first multi-hit game of the season.