- SEC Credential Policy
- Credential Requests and Criteria
- Interview Policies
- Cat Scratches
- Accessing Publicity Photos/Logos/Video
- Staff Directory and Contact Info
- Media Relations Student Application
The primary purpose of the University of Kentucky Athletics Media Relations Office is to serve as liaison between UK Athletics’ administration, coaches and student-athletes and the local, state and national media.
To facilitate the requests of UK officials and athletes as well as print and electronic media in order to ensure the best possible media coverage of UK sports. The department provides a wide range of other services, including web/internet features, to meet the ever-growing needs of media covering collegiate sports, as well as to assist other information-seeking organizations and individuals. In addition, the department serves as the chief public relations branch of UK Athletics, keeping image a top priority in its dealings with media, fans and others wishing to learn more about UK Athletics and its people.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Arranging and overseeing all media interviews
- Arranging and monitoring press conferences and teleconferences
- Handling credential requests for games/matches
- Coordination of gameday on-site operations
- Producing informational and promotional publications
- Writing and distributing press releases and compiling and distributing statistical information
- Keeping the website posted with up-to-date information in a timely manner.
HISTORICAL AND CURRENT FILES
Goal: To keep organized, thorough files on all UK sports for use by media and others.
Current season files are kept on each athlete and coach in the Media Relations Office, then added to the historical file archive after the players and coaches end their UK careers. Files contain photos, media guides, releases, results and other pertinent information. Files are kept digitally at UK archives.
Goal: All publications, posters and schedule cards are produced in a timely, top-quality manner and distributed to media.
Media guides are provided for all UK varsity sports. The size and number of each publication is determined by the history (records, tradition, etc…) and the media demand for that particular sport. Posters and schedule cards may also be produced for varsity sports that are considered spectator sports.
Goal: Administration and media coordination for numerous special events.
A few examples: Plan and implement media and other services for NCAA and SEC events hosted by UK; Assist in production of basketball Midnight Madness; Assist with Football Fan Day; Assist in honoring past football and basketball teams and individuals; Coordinate Senior Days; Coordinate end-of-seasons awards and jersey retirement; Provide official statistics crew/scorer and other staff for SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament games.
Goal: To provide adequate media relations services for varsity teams on the road.
A media relations representative will travel to all games with a majority of UK’s 22 sports. If a the media relations staff member cannot travel, they will make arrangements with the host school to receive results for report to state and local media.
Goal: To report results of all varsity sporting events to local, state and when appropriate, national media, as well as the UK website.
A member of the media relations staff is assigned to each sport to ensure complete coverage.
PUBLIC RELATIONS AND FANS
Goal: The media relations office, in conjunction with the marketing and promotions office, responds to fans’ requests for information, photos, etc., in a courteous and prompt manner.
- Continue producing top-quality, award-winning media brochures.
- Continue publicizing and promoting student-athletes, coaches and other key athletics personnel.
- Continue to be nationally recognized for the UK Athletics Web Site.
- Continue to be recognized for media services for 22 varsity sports.
- Continue developing and instructing interns and student helpers who want to pursue a career in Athletics Media Relations.
UK Media Relations
Joe Craft Center
338 Lexington Ave.
Lexington, KY 40506
(859) 257-3838 – (859) 257-3838
Fax: (859) 323-4310
MEDIA RELATIONS STAFF DIRECTORY
Assistant Athletics Director
Baseball, Asst. Football
Asst. Men’s Basketball,
Track and Field,
Media Relations Coordinator
Media Relations Assistant
Swimming & Diving,
Media Relations Assistant
CREATIVE SERVICES STAFF DIRECTORY
Sr. Director, Creative Services
Assistant Creative Director
Creative Services Assistant
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS STAFF DIRECTORY
Director of Strategic Communications