Ray Davis Named The Sporting News Midseason All-American
National recognition continues to roll in for graduate transfer Ray Davis, who has been named to The Sports News Midseason All-America team, it was announced Wednesday.
Davis’ performance for the Wildcats through seven games has been eye-popping and awe-inspiring as the 5-foot-10, 216-pound running back leads the Southeastern Conference in rushing (111.57 yards per game), rushing scores (8), all-purpose yards (139.14 yards per game) and scoring (11.14 points per game). He is sixth nationally in total rushing yardage with 781, having 111 attempts and averaging 7.0 yards per carry.
Davis has three 100-yard games this season and 12 in his career. He has scored a touchdown in all seven games, the first Wildcat to score a touchdown in the first seven games of a season in school history, based on single-game statistics available since the 1940s. He also is the first Wildcat to score a touchdown in seven straight games within the same season since Randall Cobb in 2009. He is the first Wildcat to score a touchdown in seven straight games since Benny Snell Jr. tallied the last six games of 2017 and first game of 2018.
A performance that will long live in the annals of Kentucky football came from Davis in UK’s 33-14 win over No. 22/23 Florida on Sept. 30. Davis ripped off 289 all-purpose yards and totaled four touchdowns, including a career-long 75-yard score on which he was barely touched. For the game,
- His 280 yards rushing are the third-most in a game in program history, and were just 19 short of the school record.
- He became the ninth player in UK history to eclipse 200 yards rushing in a game, while it marked the 13th instance in program history.
- His 280 yards helped him eclipse 3,000 yards rushing for his career. He is currently sitting at 3,278.
- His four touchdowns tied the school record for the most total touchdowns in a game.
- He became the 13th player in UK history to have four touchdowns in a game, while it marked the 15th instance in program history.
- On his second touchdown, he had a career-long, 75-yard score rushing.
- The best two rushes of his career have occurred in Blue and White, first with a 55-yard rush against Akron, followed by the 75-yard rush against Florida.
- It was Kentucky’s longest run in school history vs. Florida
Davis’ 2023 Honors
- Reese’s Senior Midseason All-American
- The Sporting News Midseason All-American
- Maxwell National Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
- Doak Walker National Running Back of the Week (Oct. 2)
- Walter Camp National FBS Offensive Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
- Co-SEC Offensive Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
- Reece’s Senior Bowl Offensive Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
- East-West Shrine Bowl Breakout Offensive Player of the Week (Oct. 2)
- CFPA Honorable Mention Performer of the Week (Oct. 2)
- Doak Walker Award Watch List
- Reese’s Senior Bowl Watch List