On the Prowl: Hunter Gilliam Blasts Kentucky to Run-Rule Win
Gilliam, fresh off two National Player of the Week and co-SEC Player of the Week honors, continued to be nightmare fuel for pitchers. In the last six games he is 16-for-2 (.640) with six runs, six doubles, a triple, one home run, 16 RBI, two walks and an HBP for the week. He has reached base safely in all 17 games this season, has an 11-game hit streak and had multiple hits in six straight games.
The Cats avenged a 20-7 loss in Bloomington last season, dropping a six-run sixth inning as they held an opponent to three or fewer runs for the 13th time in 17 games, striking out 11 of 21 Indiana batters.
- UK Coach Nick Mingione is in his seventh season at the helm and now owns a 191-131 career record.
- Kentucky is 124-38 in non-conference games under Coach Mingione.
- UK is 77-33 in the month of March under Coach Mingione.
- UK pitchers have struck out 168 through 17 games.
- UK has held its opponents to three runs or fewer in 13 of 17 games.
- UK has scored in 316 of 322 games under Coach Mingione.
- UK has scored 33 runs in the past 16 innings.
- UK drew six hit by pitch, including two by Ryan Waldschmidt.
- First baseman Hunter Gilliam has started 130 consecutive games at the collegiate level.
- He has reached safely in all 17 games this season and owns an 11-game hit streak.
- He has a team-high nine multi-RBI games and eight multi-hit games.
- He was 3-for-4 with two runs, five RBI, a double and three-run home run.
- In the last six games he is 16-for-2 (.640) with six runs, six doubles, a triple, one home run, 16 RBI, two walks and an HBP for the week.
- Infielder Grant Smith has started all 133 games of his collegiate career.
- He went 2-for-4 with a two-run single.
- Catcher Devin Burkes was 2-for-3 with three runs and an RBI.
- He had the game-winning, walk-off single in the seventh.
- Infielder Emilien Pitre has reached base safely in 15 consecutive games.
- Catcher Chase Stanke notched his 100th career hit.
Kentucky begins Southeastern Conference play vs. Mississippi State on Friday night at 6:30 p.m. ET at Kentucky Proud Park. The game will be streamed on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network