Kentucky Takes Care of Business In Tidy Victory
Jase Felker drove in three runs, Devin Burkes had two more doubles and the pitching staff struck out 13 batters as Kentucky avenged a loss to Ohio last season with a 9-2 victory at Kentucky Proud Park on Wednesday.
The Wildcats (11-2) now are riding a seven-game win streak and will test their mettle on the road at Southern Illinois this weekend in the final non-conference series.
Nolan McCarthy erased an early deficit with a two-run double and Felker remained red hot with a pair of singles that brought home three runs to help power the offense.
Pitcher Austin Strickland picked up the win on the mound after turning in impressive work extricating the Cats from an early bases loaded situation to lead a parade of pitchers who turned in strong relief efforts.
- UK Coach Nick Mingione is in his seventh season at the helm and now owns a 187-131 career record.
- Kentucky is 120-38 in non-conference games under Coach Mingione.
- UK is 106-16 vs. non-Power Five opponents.
- UK is 73-33 in the month of March under Coach Mingione.
- UK pitchers have struck out 141 through 13 games, 10.8 per game.
- UK has held its opponents to three runs or fewer in 10 of 13 games.
- UK now is 81-43 all-time at Kentucky Proud Park.
- UK now is 3-1 vs. teams from Ohio this season.
- Catcher Devin Burkes went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI.
- He came into the game ranked sixth nationally in doubles and now has nine.
- He hit hard lineouts to left field in each of his first three trips to the plate before his two doubles.
- He leads the team with 21 RBI.
- First baseman Hunter Gilliam has started 126 consecutive games at the collegiate level.
- He has reached safely in all 13 games this season and owns a seven-game hit streak.
- He went 2-for-3 with a walk and a double.
- Infielder Grant Smith has started all 129 games of his collegiate career.
- Infielder/Outfielder Jase Felker went 2-for-5 with a run and three RBI.
- Outfielder Nolan McCarthy had a two-run double.
Kentucky will test itself with a second non-conference road series when it travels to Southern Illinois for three games beginning Friday. The game will be streamed on ESPN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.