One-Two Punch: Kentucky Sweeps Doubleheader
Kentucky dodged a game Indiana State club and closed out a Saturday doubleheader sweep after severe weather wiped out Friday’s opener. It is UK’s third series win in as many weekends and moved the Wildcats to 8-2 overall.
The Cats used a big inning early to claim a 4-2 victory in game one and then rebuffed a Sycamores’ rally late in game two for a 5-4 triumph. The Cats now have won four straight contests.
Darren Williams got the win in relief in the opener and has allowed just one hit in 12 scoreless innings pitched this year. Tyler Bosma rebounded from a rough outing last weekend to get the win in game two, with Mason Moore earning his second save.
- UK Coach Nick Mingione is in his seventh season at the helm and now owns a 184-131 career record.
- Kentucky is 117-38 in non-conference games under Coach Mingione.
- UK is 103-16 vs. non-Power Five opponents.
- UK is 70-33 in the month of March under Coach Mingione.
- UK pitchers have struck out 85 through eight games.
- UK has held its opponents to three runs or fewer in eight of 10 games.
- UK had three triples in game two, two by Jackson Gray.
- Gray is the first Wildcat to have two triples in a game since Matt McKinney vs. LSU in 2007.
- Catcher Devin Burkes saw his streak of reaching base safely in 21 consecutive games dating to the 2022 season end in game one but began a new one in game two.
- First baseman Hunter Gilliam has started 123 consecutive games at the collegiate level.
- He has reached safely in all 10 games this season.
- He now has four multi-RBI games this season to lead the Cats.
- Infielder Grant Smith has started all 126 games of his collegiate career.
- He had his first multi-RBI game as a Cat in the opener.
- Infielder Emilien Pitre had hits in both games.
- He has four multi-hit games.
- He has a career-best eight-game hit streak.
- Pitcher Darren Williams earned the win in game one with 5.0 shutout innings of relief.
- He had allowed his first hit of the season after 11.1 no-hit innings, a bloop single to LF.
- Season total: 1-0, 1 SV, 12.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 14 K
Kentucky will go for a sweep of ndiana State on Sunday, March 5 at 1 p.m. ET at Kentucky Proud Park. The game will be streamed on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.