Double Vision: Kentucky Smacks Six Doubles in Friday Win
Kentucky rapped six doubles and erased a two-run deficit after two batters to post its fourth consecutive victory, an 8-3 series-opening win over Wright State on Friday at Kentucky Proud Park.
Sophomore catcher Devin Burkes collected three doubles and scored three runs and sophomore Emilien Pitre had three more hits and a career-high three RBI as the Cats (4-1) had a season-high 14 hits. Hunter Gilliam, Grant Smith and Kendal Ewell (who had the first two hits of his UK career) each had a pair of hits.
On the mound, starter Logan Martin found himself on the wrong end of a 2-0 score after he walked the first batter of the game in front of a two-run home run. Martin settled down nicely after that and allowed just one run the rest of his outing to earn his first Division I win. Senior Darren Williams worked the final three innings for the save and now has recorded 12 of 18 outs this season via strikeout.
- UK Coach Nick Mingione is in his seventh season at the helm and now owns a 180-130 career record.
- Kentucky is 113-37 in non-conference games under Coach Mingione.
- UK is 99-15 vs. non-Power Five opponents.
- UK is 36-15 in the month of February under Coach Mingione.
- UK pitchers have struck out 52 and walked just nine through four games.
- UK’s starting pitchers this season: 25 IP, 6 R, 27 K
- UK had a season-high 14 hits, six of which were doubles.
- The Cats stole three bases and now have 13 in five games.
- Catcher Devin Burkes currently has reached base safely in 18 consecutive games dating to the 2022 season.
- He went 3-for-4 with three runs and an RBI.
- He had three doubles in the game.
- First baseman Hunter Gilliam has started 118 consecutive games at the collegiate level.
- He had his first multi-hit and multi-RBI game at UK.
- Infielder Grant Smith has started all 121 games of his collegiate career.
- Infielder Emilien Pitre went 3-for-4 with two runs and career-high three RBI.
- He now has 10 hits in his last 14 AB.
- He had a pair of doubles in the game.
- Outfielder Kendal Ewell had the first two hits of his UK career and reached base in all four of his at-bats.
- Starting pitcher Logan Martin earned his first Division I win
- He pitched 6.0 innings, giving up three runs on four hits and struck out eight.
- Senior Darren Williams earned the save with 3.0 scoreless innings.
Kentucky will try to win the series vs. Wright State on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET at Kentucky Proud Park. The game will be streamed on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.