Kentucky’s Magical Run in Hoover Comes to Close
HOOVER, Ala. – The Kentucky baseball team’s impressive run through the Southeastern Conference Tournament came to a close in the early hours of Sunday morning, as No. 1 Tennessee took advantage of UK’s depleted pitching staff to score a 12-2 elimination game victory. Previously on Saturday, UK knocked out No. 15 LSU 7-2.
Now the Wildcats (33-26) hold their breath for Monday’s NCAA Tournament Selection Show hoping to receive an at-large bid.
In the early game, the Cats spanked LSU behind six one-hit innings from left-hander Tyler Bosma and a sensational relief appearance from Daniel Harper. In the nightcap, Tennessee blew open a 2-2 game with four runs in the eighth inning and tacked on six in the ninth against the Cats’ young relievers.
- UK has scored in 300 of 305 games under Coach Nick Mingione.
- Mingione now has 176 career victories, third in school history.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 581 in 58 games, two shy of the school record of 583 set in 2017.
- UK is 25-39 in 23 appearances in the SEC Tournament.
- UK is 4-6 in the SEC Tournament under Mingione and 8-8 overall in the postseason.
- Senior RHP Daniel Harper made his 100th career appearance, second in UK history.
- Junior IF Chase Estep reached base safely in 54 of the 58 games this season.
Kentucky will await the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on Monday at noon ET to learn its at-large bid fate.