Kentucky Drops Finale But Wins Series vs. Top-Ranked Tennessee
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky won its Southeastern Conference-leading eighth game against a Top 10 foe earlier on Saturday to clinch the weekend series against No. 1 Tennessee but dropped the series finale, 7-2, in seven innings at Kentucky Proud Park.
UK has now won series from Tennessee (42-6), TCU and Georgia this season.
The Wildcats (26-21, 9-15 SEC) had a chance at a sweep before the Volunteers scored five late runs to blow open a tie game.
- Mingione has 169 career wins, seven shy of third on UK’s all-time list.
- UK has scored in 289 of 293 games in coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- UK is 13-16 vs. No. 1 teams, including 11-15 at home.
- UK stole two bases and is 64-of-70 on stolen base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 484 in 47 games.
- Junior INF Chase Estep has reached base safely in 44 of 47 games this season.
- Senior RHP Sean Harney started on the mound after earning the save in the conclusion of the first game.
Kentucky will face Tennessee Martin at Kentucky Proud Park on Tuesday. First pitch is 6:30 p.m. ET on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network