Jacob Plastiak Swats Homer, Three Hits in Series Opener
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Jake Plastiak homered and Devin Burkes cranked the first blast of his career in front of a bevy of friends and family but neither shots were enough to take the series opener against Florida at Condron Ballpark on Friday night. The 9-2 defeat dropped the Wildcats to 23-19 overall and 6-13 in Southeastern Conference play.
Plastiak sent his 11th home run of the season into the UK bullpen in the eighth inning and Burkes followed one inning later in his first at bat of the game with a solo blast to nearly the same spot. Plastiak also had a pair of singles and finished 3-for-4 in the game.
Florida got on the board with a leadoff homer in the first, the second time in three games the opponent opened with a ball that cleared the fence. Starter Mason Hazelwood settled down before running into trouble in the fifth.
- UK has scored in 284 of 288 games in coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- UK stole two bases and is 53-of-58 on stolen base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 435 in 42 games.
- Junior INF Chase Estep He has reached base safely in 39 of 42 games this season.
- R-Freshman Devin Burkes hit his first career home run.
- RHP Daniel Harper made his 92nd career appearance and now is tied for fourth on UK’s all-time list. He needs two more to tie Logan Salow for third.
Senior IF Jake Plastiak went 3-for-4 with a solo home run.
- It is his 14th multi-hit game of the season and 17th career.
- He now has 11 homers this season and 15 in his career.
- He leads the team in RBI.
- Senior IF Daniel Harris IV stole a base and now is 39-of-43 on his career.
Kentucky and Florida meet again on Saturday night. First pitch is at 6 p.m. ET on the SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.