Jacob Plastiak Cranks Ninth Home Run
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Jacob Plastiak demolished his ninth home run of the season but a lack of healthy pitching hindered Kentucky in a 17-3 defeat to Texas A&M at Blue Bell Park on Saturday.
John Thrasher had a pair of RBI and Reuben Church had two hits in his fourth start of the season but uncharacteristic miscues cost the Wildcats (19-13, 4-8 SEC) in a five-run fourth inning that provided the Aggies (19-12, 6-6) all the ammunition it needed.
A single off the glove of a UK infielder turned into a run after three straight wild pitches before back-to-back errors and a flared single opened the door for Dylan Rock’s full count triple that cleared the bases and a 7-1 lead. UK got two back in the fifth on three consecutive singles but were unable to get any closer on a warm, windy Texas day.
A&M third baseman Ryan Targac hit for the cycle and drove in five runs.
- UK has scored in 275 of 278 games in coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- UK is 42-of-46 on stolen base attempts this season and 7-of-7 in the series.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 347 in 32 games.
- UK is 4-6 on the road this season.
Sophomore INF Reuben Church reached base three times.
- He had his first multi-hit game of the season and ninth career.
- Church also made his debut on the mound, entering in the eighth inning.
- Senior INF Jacob Plastiak hit his ninth home run of the season.
Senior OF John Thrasher set new UK career-long with a five-game hit streak.
- He had his second multi-RBI game of the season.
Kentucky hosts Bellarmine on Tuesday. First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. ET on SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.