Walk-off Homer in Extras Sinks Kentucky
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Troy Claunch came up clutch, lining a walk-off home run in the 11th inning for his first long ball of season as Texas A&M came from behind to claim a 3-2 win on Thursday night at Blue Bell Park.
Claunch spoiled an otherwise tremendous night by Kentucky reliever Sean Harney, who had allowed no runs on just two hits with eight strikeouts in 5.0 innings to that point. Claunch went the opposite way on a 2-2 count to end a game that wrapped up after midnight local time.
UK (18-12, 3-7 SEC) had numerous opportunities to win the game before that though, taking a 2-0 lead in the fourth, but could not overcome going 3-of-23 with runners on base and 2-of-14 with runners in scoring position. Texas A&M (18-11, 5-5) had four errors in the game but the Wildcats struggled to take full advantage.
- UK has scored in 273 of 276 games in coach Nick Mingione’s tenure.
- Mingione has 161 wins, fifth on UK’s all-time list. He needs three wins to move into fourth.
- UK is 39-of-43 on stole base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 327 in 30 games.
- UK is 3-5 on the road this season.
Senior LHP Mason Hazelwood made the start.
- He pitched 3.2 innings, allowing one run on four hits, walking one and striking out five.
- Junior INF Chase Estep has reached base safely in 29 of 30 games this season.
- Senior OF Adam Fogel had a pair of hits and scored a run.
- He has six multi-hit games this season.
- He made two sensational catches in right field.
- Senior OF Hunter Jump has reached base safely in nine straight games.
- Senior IF Daniel Harris IV had a pair of hits.
- He now has seven multi-hit games.
- Junior IF Ryan Ritter now is 15-for-15 on steals in his career.
Kentucky continues its series at Texas A&M on Friday evening. First pitch on Friday is at 7:30 p.m. ET on the SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.