Midweek Malaise: Kentucky Falls to Eastern Kentucky, 6-3
Jase Felker picked up two more hits and reached base three times in four trips to the plate but Kentucky dropped its fourth midweek game of the season, falling 6-3 to Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday at Kentucky Proud Park.
Felker had hits in five consecutive at bats dating to Sunday’s game and has reached base safely in eight of 10 plate appearances the past two games. He also scored two of the Wildcats’ three runs on the evening. Hunter Jump drove in a pair out of the leadoff spot in the lineup.
Eastern Kentucky star closer Will Brian picked up his 11th save of the season as the Colonels scored three runs in the third inning and two more in the seventh. Shortstop Logan Thomason had two doubles, a home run and four RBI while hitting the ball on the button every time to the plate. UK had its chances, going 2-for-14 with runners on base and left the bases loaded in the eighth after Brian got John Thrasher to pop out in foul territory.
UK (17-9) now has dropped three of its past four non-conference affairs and welcomes No. 9 Ole Miss in Southeastern Conference play this weekend.
- Kentucky has 1,999 all-time victories, one shy of 2,000.
- Kentucky is 106-35 in non-conference games under Coach Nick Mingione, including 92-14 vs. non-Power Five opponents. UK is 13-3 in such games in 2022.
- UK has scored in 269 of 272 games in Mingione’s tenure.
- Mingione has 160 wins, fifth on UK’s all-time list. He needs five wins to move into fourth.
- UK is 32-of-35 on stole base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 280 in 26 games.
Junior INF Chase Estep has reached base safely in 25 of 26 games this season.
- He is 9-of-11 on stolen base attempts this season.
- Senior C Alonzo Rubalcaba saw his reached base safely streak end at 18 straight games, a career-long.
- Junior INF Jase Felker went 2-for-3 with two runs and a walk.
- He reached base three times.
- Had hits in five straight at-bats and seven of eight.
Kentucky hosts No. 9 Ole Miss this weekend. First pitch on Friday is at 6:30 p.m. ET on the SECN+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.