Cam Hill Delivers Career Effort for Kentucky
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky didn’t go quietly but for the second night in a row an early deficit proved too big a hole to dig out of as the Wildcats fell 8-6 to LSU at Kentucky Proud Park on Saturday.
Cam Hill delivered a career-high three RBI, including his second home run of the season, as the Cats stormed back from a six-run deficit to pull within one. The junior outfielder drove in a run in three different at bats while logging the fifth multi-RBI game of his career. He tied his career bests for hits and runs with two each.
Sophomore infielder Ryan Ritter stayed red-hot as well, notching a pair of hits to give him six hits in three games this week to go along with five runs scored, seven RBI, a double and a home run. Senior catcher Coltyn Kessler also produced his fifth multi-hit game in Southeastern Conference play.
Despite the late rally the Cats dropped their fifth consecutive SEC game and fell to 5-6 in league play, 19-9 overall. Walks early in the game and some well-placed ground balls by LSU (20-11, 3-8 SEC) later contributed to a 7-1 deficit after five innings. Freshman right-hander Ryan Hagenow struggled to find the strike zone in his second conference start, walking four and hitting a batter in 1.1 innings.
Senior righty Sean Harney steadied things on the mound and allowed just one run in four innings, striking out five. A bouncer that eluded the shift in the ninth inning was the only blemish on his night.
The two teams will close the series on Sunday afternoon with a 1 p.m. ET start on the SEC Network+.
Top 2nd – Thompson walked, Beloso hit by a pitch and Travinski walked to load the bases. Arnold walked, Thompson scored. Beloso scored on a SAC fly by Morgan. LSU 2, UK 0.
Top 3rd – Dugas tripled to RCF and scored on Doughty’s hard hit single off 3B glove. Doughty advanced to second on a wild pitch, third on an infield single by Thompson and scored on Beloso’s SAC fly. LSU 4, UK 0.
Bottom 3rd – Cam Hill homered to LCF. LSU 4, UK 1.
Top 4th – Morgan bounced a high hopper through the middle and scored on Dugas’ home run to LF. LSU 6, UK 1.
Top 5th – DiGiacomo singled, advanced to second on a groundout and scored on Beloso’s bouncer through the right side. LSU 7, UK 1.
Bottom 7th – Chase Estep doubled over the RF’s head and advanced to third on Ryan Ritter’s single to LF. Hill singled to LF, scoring Estep. Austin Schultz walked to load the bases. Ritter scored on a wild pitch, Hill and Schultz advanced. T.J. Collett singled to RCF, scoring Hill and Schultz. LSU 7, UK 5.
Bottom 8th – Oraj Anu walked, Ritter singled and Jake Plastiak was hit with a pitch to load the bases. Hill hit into a fielder’s choice, Anu scored, Ritter to third. LSU 7, UK 6.
Top 9th – Doughty singled to CF, advanced to second on a groundout and scored on Thompson’s shift-beating single through the infield. LSU 8, UK 6.
- UK is 19-9 overall, 5-6 in SEC play.
- The Cats are 15-6 at home this season.
Junior OF Cam Hill went 2-for-4 with two runs, three RBI and a home run.
- Hill set or tied career-highs in hits, runs and RBI.
- It was Hill’s second home run of the season.
- Hill now has two multi-hit games this season and 12 in his career.
- Hill now has two multi-RBI games this season and five in his career.
- Sophomore IF Ryan Ritter went 2-for-4 with a run.
- Ritter had his seventh multi-hit game of the season and second this week.
- Ritter now is 6-for-12 with five runs, seven RBI, a double and two home runs this week.
- Senior C Coltyn Kessler went 2-for-5.
- It was Kessler’s eighth multi-hit game of the season and 20th career.
- Kessler has five multi-hit games in SEC play.
- Kessler has reached safely in 15 of his past 16 games.
- Junior IF/OF Austin Schultz walked twice and scored a run.
- Schultz has reached base safely in 81 of 88 career games.
- Senior RHP Sean Harney was excellent in relief, allowing just one run and striking out five in 4.0 innings.
The Cats look to avoid the sweep on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. ET on the SEC Network+. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.