Cats Battle Back For Series-Opening Road Win at Missouri
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Ryan Shinn reached base five times and Breydon Daniel delivered a two-run game-winning double to give Kentucky a 4-2 road victory over Missouri at Taylor Stadium on Friday night. It marked the first Southeastern Conference road victory of the season for the Wildcats.
Despite falling behind 2-0 in the first inning the Cats (17-13, 2-8 SEC) chipped away, scoring a run in the fourth before Daniel’s double inside the third base bag in the sixth provided a lead that would hold. Jaren Shelby’s monster home run in the eighth gave the Cats an insurance run and the bullpen held the Tigers (20-11-1, 3-6-1) scoreless over the final eight innings.
Daniel Harper pitched a pair of scoreless innings to earn the win and Carson Coleman blew through the eighth before providing a bit of drama in the ninth to earn his second save of the season.
Shinn was all over the bases, hitting his 14th double of the season, singling twice, walking twice and scoring a pair of runs. He and T.J. Collett started both rallies, with Collett racing home from first to score the go-ahead run on Daniel’s double.
The Cats will send National Pitcher of the Week Zack Thompson to the hill on Saturday afternoon looking to win the three-game series.
Bottom 1st– Kameron Misner drew a two-out walk, stole second and scored on Peter Zimmermann’s single through the left side. Zimmermann stole second and scored on Chad McDaniel’s single to LF. Mizzou 2, UK 0.
Top 4th – Ryan Shinn doubled to LCF and scored on T.J. Collett’s double to RF. Mizzou 2, UK 1.
Top 6th – Shinn singled to CF and Collett reached when the 3B couldn’t handle a high pop up. Breydon Daniel doubled inside the 3B bag, scoring Shinn and Collett. UK 3, Mizzou 2.
Top 8th – Jaren Shelby homered to LF. UK 4, Mizzou 2.
- Kentucky has scored in 94 consecutive games and 170 of the past 171 dating to the 2016 season. The lone shutout came in a seven-inning game. The current streak now is tied for the third-longest in school history with ones from 1958-62 and 1993-95.
Freshman IF Austin Schultz extended his reached base safely streak to 20 games with a single in the seventh inning.
- Schultz recorded the fifth multi-hit game of his career.
- Senior OF Ryan Shinn was 3-for-3 with two runs, two walks and a double.
- He reached base all five times he came to the plate.
- He clubbed his 14th double of the season and 21st extra-base hit.
- Junior IF/RHP Grant Macciocchi made his first career start in the field, earning the nod at 3B.
- Macciocchi picked up his first career hit with a single through the right side in the fifth inning.
- He also stole his first base.
Kentucky goes for a series win on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. ET and airs on the SEC Network Plus. Audio coverage on UKathletics.com.