Men’s Tennis Adds Two During Fall Signing Period
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky men’s tennis and head coach Cedric Kauffmann have announced the official signing of high school seniors, Thomas Faurel and Andrew Mercer in conjunction with the NCAA’s fall signing period.
Both Faurel and Mercer are set to join the Wildcats in 2024. Read more on the signees, below.
Name: Thomas Faurel
Hometown: Scottsdale, Ariz.
High School: Laurel Springs School
- Top ITF Junior ranking of No. 74
- Won five singles and five doubles ITF Junior titles
- Won the French Junior Championships in Singles and in Doubles
- Played for the French National Team, winning bronze medal at the U16 Team European Championships and finishing fourth in the Junior Davis Cup
Coach Kauffmann: “We’re very excited to have Thomas join our family. I knew he was a special player the first time I saw him. He is very professional and very driven. He will fit right in and will be a big asset for us next year. I can’t wait for him to get to campus.”
Name: Andrew Mercer
Hometown: Huntington, W. Va.
High School: Huntington High School
- Two-time State Singles Champion
- Boys’ National U16 Easter Bowl Doubles Champion
- Boys’ National U16 Indoors Doubles Champion
- Two-time High School Conference Player of the Year
- Ranked No. 1 in USTA Boys’ 16s doubles in May of 2022
- Dad, John, played tennis at Penn State
- Mom, Laurie, played tennis at Furman
- Sister, Cassie, played tennis at UVA
- Brother, JJ, currently plays tennis at Kentucky
Coach Kauffmann: We’re really excited to have AJ become a Wildcat. He understands who we are and what we are about. We have a great relationship with the Mercer family, and I can’t wait to have AJ join us.”