Devin Burkes Named Co-National Player of Week
Kentucky redshirt sophomore catcher Devin Burkes was named one of Collegiate Baseball Newspaper’s Co-National Players of the Week after a blistering week that saw him post an OPS of better than 2.000 and turn in just the third game of at least seven runs batted in over the past 15 years at UK.
Burkes, a Bradenton, Florida native in his first season as a regular starter, had eight hits in a series victory over Wright State, all of which went for extra bases (seven doubles, one home run). He currently leads the country in doubles and doubles per game.
Burkes swung away at a 3-0 pitch in the first inning on Sunday, blasting it over 400 feet to put the Wildcats on top early, from which they never looked back. He also handled a pitching staff that allowed just three runs in the two weekend games he caught and threw out the only runner who tried to steal a base on him. In turn, he stole a pair of bases himself.
A look at Burkes’ performance over the full week:
4 games, .563, 1.188 slugging percentage, .667 on-base percentage, 1.855 OPS, 9-16, 5 runs, 7 doubles, 1 home run, 11 RBI, 19 total bases, 2-2 steals, 2 walks, 3 hit by pitch.
- Catcher Devin Burkes currently has reached base safely in 20 consecutive games dating to the 2022 season.
- He went 3-for-6 with a run scored, two doubles, a two-run home run and career-high seven RBI on Sunday.
- He had two doubles in the game and had seven in the series.
- All eight of his hits in the series went for extra bases and he had 10 RBI.
- He had 18 total bases in the series, including two stolen bases.
- Had a two-run homer in the first inning of Sunday’s rubber match that set the tone.
- Caught a pitching staff that had 44 strikeouts against just 8 walks.
- Threw out only runner that attempted to steal on him.