Saturday Special: Bosma Dominates Elon to Even Series
ELON, North Carolina – Tyler Bosma turned in a dominant start on the mound and Kentucky’s offense methodically dissected Elon in a 5-1 victory on a sun-splashed afternoon at Latham Stadium.
Bosma set the tone from the outset while retiring the first 14 batters of the game. Dating to his start in last season’s Southeastern Conference Tournament he has allowed just three hits and one earned run in his past two starts. He has struck out 14. Austin Strickland worked the final three innings to earn his first career save.
Kentucky (1-1) opened the scoring right away when Ryan Waldschmidt doubled off the left field wall to open the game, moved to third on an error and scored on Emilien Pitre’s sacrifice bunt. Later, Devin Burkes worked a tremendous at-bat to deliver a two-out, full count, two-run single to stretch the lead to 3-0.
UK’s pitchers have allowed just three runs in 17.0 innings thus far this season.
- Mingione opened his seventh season at the helm and now owns a 177-130 career record.
- Kentucky is 110-37 in non-conference games under Coach Mingione.
- UK is 96-15 vs. non-Power Five opponents.
- UK pitchers have struck out 20 and walked just three through two games.
- They had a 13-inning scoreless stretch broken up in the ninth inning.
- Catcher Devin Burkes currently has reached base safely in 15 consecutive games dating to the 2022 season.
- He had a two-out, two-run single.
- First baseman Hunter Gilliam has started 115 consecutive games at the collegiate level.
- Infielder Grant Smith has started all 118 games of his collegiate career.
- He had two hits on the day, the first Wildcat to have a multi-hit game this season.
- Starting pitcher Tyler Bosma delivered a dominating start, yielding only two hits in six shutout innings.
- Dating to last season’s start against LSU in the SEC Tournament, his last two outings have been sensational: 12.0 IP, 3 hits, one earned run, two walks, 14 strikeouts.
- Pitcher Austin Strickland earned the save. It is the first save on his career.
- Outfielder Ryan Waldschmidt reached base three times and scored a pair of runs.
- Infielder Emilien Pitre got his first career RBI with a SAC bunt in the first inning.
- Outfielder Jackson Gray had the first hit of his UK career, a ground rule double to right.
- The following players made their debut for Kentucky: Jackson Gray and Chase Stanke.
Kentucky will face Elon in a series rubber match on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. ET. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.