Steiner, Lindow Nominated for SEC's McWhorter Scholarship
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Abby Steiner of the Kentucky track and field team and Brock Lindow of the Wildcat’s men’s soccer squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Kentucky.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Kentucky’s nominees include:
ABBY STEINER, Kentucky, Track & Field
- Will graduate in May with a 3.845 GPA; finishing her degree in Kinesiology and plans to go to physical therapy school
- SEC Scholar-Athlete and Women’s Runner of the Year, 2022
- CoSIDA Second Team Academic All-American, 2021
- CoSIDA Academic All-District, 2021
- SEC Spring Academic Honor Roll, 2020, 2021
- SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll, 2019
- Bowerman Watchlist, 2022
- National Athlete of the Year for Indoor Track by the USTFCCA, 2022
- Set one American record, two NCAA records and won three NCAA medals in indoor track this season
- Broke the American record, broke her own NCAA record, and ran the second-fastest indoor 200 meters in world history when she clocked 22.09 seconds at the SEC Championships
- NCAA Champion in the indoor 200-meter dash for the second consecutive year; also NCAA silver medalist in the 60-meter dash and NCAA bronze medalist in the 4×400-meter relay
- SEC Champion in the indoor 200 meters for the third consecutive year
- Broke the NCAA record in the 300-meter run in addition to her 200-meter record
BROCK LINDOW, Kentucky, Men’s Soccer
Major: Computer Engineering
- Will graduate in May with a degree in computer engineering
- Owns a 3.96 GPA
- CoSIDA Academic All-America Third Team, 2021
- CoSIDA Academic All-District Team, 2021
- Three-time SEC Fall Sports Academic Honor Roll selection
- Two-time C-USA All-Academic Team
- Two-time C-USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll selection
- Two-time C-USA Academic Medal recipient
- Helped Kentucky win the 2021 C-USA championship title for the second time in school history
- Led Kentucky to its fourth-ever and second-straight NCAA Sweet 16 appearance in 2021
- Appeared in 66 games, logging 2,573 career minutes as a forward
- Netted eight career goals, four of which were game-winners
The SEC provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women’s swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men’s track & field and cross country team.