Kentucky Drops First Match of the Season to No. 11 Ohio State
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Despite earning the doubles point in a hard-fought battle with Ohio State, the Kentucky women’s tennis team fell to the 11th-ranked Buckeyes in a 5-2 decision on Friday at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center.
After dropping their first match of the season while facing their first ranked opponent of the year, the Wildcats fall to 9-1 as the Buckeyes improve to 5-3.
The match got off to an exciting start, highlighted by the Wildcats earning the doubles point for the eighth time this season. Carla Girbau and Ellie Eades first defeated Kathleen Jones and Irina Cantos Siemers, 6-2, before Sydni Ratliff and Isabelle Boulais evened things up by besting Fiona Arrese and Florencia Urrutia, 6-4.
Never backing down from a challenge, the tandem of Carlota Molina and Lidia Gonzalez topped Kolie Allen and Luna Dormet in a 6-4 decision to clinch the doubles point for the home team.
The Wildcats put up a fight throughout singles action, but Ohio State ultimately prevailed to win the match. Carlota Molina picked up the sole singles victory for Kentucky, defeating No. 21 Isabelle Boulais, 7-6(4), 6-3, on court two. It marked her first win over a ranked opponent this season.
The Wildcats have a quick turnaround before they go again, playing West Virginia and Austin Peay in a doubleheader on Sunday, Feb. 20. The match with the Mountaineers will begin at 10 a.m. ET inside the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center while first serve with the Governors will commence at 3 p.m.
No. 11 Ohio State 5, Kentucky 2
1. No. 6 Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) def. Carla Gibau (UK) 6-3, 6-1
2. Carlota Molina (UK) def. No. 21 Isabella Boulais (OSU) 7-6(4), 6-3
3. No. 77 Sydni Ratliff (OSU) def. Fiona Arrese (UK) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kolie Allen (OSU) def. Florencia Urrutia (UK) 6-3, 6-4
5. Shelly Bereznyak (OSU) def. Lidia Gonzalez (UK) 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
6. No. 114 Lucia Marzal (OSU) def. Ellie Eades (UK) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 6*, 5
1. Sydni Ratliff/Isabelle Boulais (OSU) def. Fiona Arrese/Florencia Urrutia (UK) 6-4
2. Carla Girbau/Ellie Eades (UK) def. Kathleen Jones/Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) 6-2
3. Carlota Molina/Lidia Gonzalez (UK) def. Kolie Allen/Luna Dormet (OSU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*