Kentucky Women’s Basketball Postgame Notes
No. 19/17 Kentucky vs. Auburn
Auburn Arena – Auburn, Ala.
No. 19/17 Kentucky 78, Auburn 68 – FINAL
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky moves to 19-5 on the season and 6-4 in the league while Auburn is now 17-6, 5-5 in the SEC.
- The Wildcats will return to action Monday at Alabama at 7 p.m. ET inside Coleman Coliseum. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network while Darren Headrick will have the call on radio on the UK Sports Network.
- Auburn leads the all-time series in games played against Kentucky, 26-23, including a 11-10 mark in games played in Auburn.
- Kentucky has won 11 of the last 12 meetings in the series, including five of the last six in Auburn.
- This was the first time in the last four meetings in Auburn Arena that the game has been decided by double digits.
- UK is now 817-537 all-time in its 45 years as a program.
- Matthew Mitchell is in his 12th year with the Wildcats and holds a 275-122 record. Mitchell is 305-151 overall in 14 years as a head coach.
- Kentucky is ranked No. 19 in the Associated Press Top 25 and No. 17 in the USA Today/Coaches Top 25.
- Kentucky used the starting combination of senior guard Taylor Murray, senior guard Maci Morris, freshman guard Rhyne Howard, sophomore forward KeKe McKinney and sophomore forward Tatyana Wyatt.
- The Wildcats are 17-4 with those starting five this season.
- The Wildcats shot 51.9 percent (28-for-54) from the field in the game, which was its best percentage in an SEC game this season. It also broke a streak of four straight games shooting under 40 percent.
- Kentucky is 6-0 this season when it shoots 50 percent or better from the field and 13-0 this season when it shoots a higher percentage than its opponent.
- Kentucky hit six 3s in the first quarter alone with five different UK players knocking down a trey. UK was 6-of-6 from long range in the first quarter while Auburn went 0-for-1.
- UK’s six makes from long range in the first period was the most in the first quarter in program history and tied the most makes in any quarter in program history.
- UK started the game 8-for-8 from long range.
- Kentucky hit 11 3-pointers in the game, which tied the most for the Wildcats in an SEC game this season.
- UK has hit 10 or more 3-pointers in seven games this season.
- The Wildcats shot 56 percent (15-for-27) from the field in the first half, including 75 percent (9-for-12) from long range.
- After a 6-0 run by Auburn at the end of the first quarter and start of the second quarter, UK answered with a 14-0 run to take a 36-20 lead with 5:22 left in the half and force an Auburn timeout.
- UK’s 14-point halftime lead was its second largest in league play this season (16 vs. Vanderbilt).
- UK’s 42 first-half points were the most in the first half of an SEC game this season.
- The Wildcats had 15 assists in the game, which was the second most in a league game this season.
- UK had more turnovers than Auburn, marking only the second time this season the Wildcats have had more turnovers than their opponent. UK is 1-1 in those games.
- The Wildcats are now 12-0 this season on games broadcast on SEC Network+.
- Four of Kentucky’s six wins in conference play have come by double digits this season.
Senior guard Maci Morris scored eight points and hit two 3s in the game.
- Morris now has 1,580 career points, which ranks eighth most in program history. She needs 18 more point to tie Pam Browning for 7th all-time in school history in points scored.
- Morris has 237 career 3-pointers made which ranks second in program history. She needs 34 more 3s to tie Sara Potts for most all-time.
- Morris has hit at least one 3-pointer in 101 of 120 career games played.
- Senior guard Taylor Murray scored 17 points with four assists and six steals.
- Murray now has 1,253 career points and ranks 20th all-time in points scored. She needs 65 more points to tie Bria Goss for 19th with 1,318.
- Murray has 414 career assists which ranks seventh most in program history. She needs 11 more to tie Amber Smith for sixth all-time in program history.
- Murray has 262 career steals which ranks sixth most in program history. She needs 10 more steals to move into the top five in program history.
Freshman guard Rhyne Howard scored 19 points with four rebounds, six assists and three steals.
- Howard hit five 3s in the game, going 5-of-7 from long range.
- This was the fifth time this season she has hit five or more 3s in a game.
- Howard has scored 380 point this season which ranks fourth most by a freshman in a season in program history. She needs 33 more point to tie Maria Donhoof for third. She needs 261 more points to tie Valerie Still for the program record.
- Howard has hit 56 3-pointers this season, which is the most ever by a true freshman in a single season in program history.
- She has 50 steals, which ranks sixth most by a freshman in program history.
- Freshman guard Blair Green scored 12 points going 5-of-5 from the field and 2-of-2 from 3.
- Green added three rebounds.
- Green has scored in double figures in four games this season.