Kentucky falls to No. 12 Virginia in First Outdoor Match of Season
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky men’s tennis returned to Boone Tennis Center for the first time in nearly two weeks on Sunday afternoon, falling to No. 12 Virginia by a final score of 5-2. A rare pocket of February sunshine allowed the teams to compete on the outdoor courts for the first time in 2019.
“We need to give credit to Virginia,” said assistant coach Matthew Gordon. “They came here and took it to us. They have good players and made things difficult for us.”
Virginia avenged its 2018 home loss to the Wildcats first by capturing early momentum, claiming Sunday’s doubles point behind two 6-2, 6-2 wins. The match’s top doubles bout between UK’s Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart and UVA’s Carl Soderlund/William Woodall remained unfinished in a 4-4 stalemate.
The Cavaliers carried their doubles success over to singles play, sealing the match with an additional four straight victories. The Wildcats ended the afternoon on a successful note, however, in the match’s only two battles requiring a third set.
First, it was Wallart on court two, defeating Brandon Nakashima 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6). Kento Yamada concluded the competition on court five by picking up his second win versus a nationally ranked opponent this season. The sophomore from Kobe, Japan defeated No. 54 Ryan Goetz 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4) on court five.
“Enzo and Kento did a great job in their matches, but as a team we have to get better,” Gordon said. “In order to become a great team, we need to take care of the fundamentals and become more consistent in our routines. We will get to where we need to be, but it’s going to take hard work and discipline.”
Kentucky is back in action next Friday, traveling to No. 15 Illinois in the season’s first true road match. The Cats are scheduled to take on the Fighting Illini at 6 p.m. ET.
- Carl Soderlund (UVA) def. Ryo Matsumura (UK) 6-1, 6-3
- Enzo Wallart (UK) def. Brandon Nakashima (UVA) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
- Henrik Wiersholm (UVA) def. Cesar Bourgois (UK) 7-5, 6-4
- #38 Gianni Ross (UVA) def. Theo McDonald (UK) 6-4, 6-1
- Kento Yamada (UK) def. #54 Ryan Goetz (UVA) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4)
- Aswin Lizen (UVA) def. Fabian Penzkofer (UK) 6-1, 6-1
- Carl Soderlund/William Woodall (UVA) vs. Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart (UK) 4-4, unfinished
- Henrik Wiersholm/Brandon Nakashima (UVA) def. Ryo Matsumura/Kento Yamada (UK) 6-2
- Gianni Ross/Ryan Goetz (UVA) def. Theo McDonald/Fabian Penzkofer (UK) 6-2
For the latest on Kentucky men’s tennis, follow @UKMensTennis on Twitter and @KentuckyMensTennis on Instagram, and follow the team on the web at UKAthletics.com.
For more information contact:
Connor Link (firstname.lastname@example.org) – (859) 257-3838