KENTUCKY MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY at TEXAS A&M
REED ARENA | COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS
FEB. 25, 2020
Final Score: No. 8/9 Kentucky 69, Texas A&M 60
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky has won seven in a row and is 23-5 overall.
- UK remains in first place in the Southeastern Conference with a 13-2 league record.
- The Wildcats need one win to clinch a share for the SEC regular-season championship, which would be the Wildcats’ 49th in program hisotry.
- UK is 7-2 in true road games, including four straight road wins.
- Texas A&M is 14-13 overall, 8-7 in league play, ending a three-game win streak.
- UK leads the series 11-4 and has won two in a row.
- UK leads 4-2 in games played in College Station.
- Next up: Kentucky returns home for its final two home games of the season. On Saturday, the Wildcats play host to Auburn at 3:45 p.m. It will be a CBS telecast.
Sparked by a career-high eight 3-pointers, Immanuel Quickley led the Wildcats with a career-high 30 points, his second straight game with a personal best. He had 26 points on Saturday vs. Florida.
- It is the first Wildcat with a 30-point game since Shai Gilgeous-Alexander scored 30 vs. Vanderbilt on Jan. 30, 2018.
- He has been torrid in the second half in UK’s current seven-game win streak, averaging 15.3 points in the second half alone during this seven-game stretch.
- It is his third straight 20-point game, the first Wildcat to do so since PJ Washington had four straight 20-point games last February.
- It is his eighth 20-point game of the season, all coming in the last 16 games.
- In nine true road games this season, he is averaging 19.9 points per game.
- It is his 17th consecutive game in double figures, most since Malik Monk had a 30-game streak during the 2016-17 season.
- He made 8 of 12 on 3-point shots tonight. UK is 10-0 in Quickley’s career when he makes at least three long balls.
- Eight 3-pointers ties for the fourth most in one game in UK history.
- Tyrese Maxey had 13 points and five rebounds.
- It is his 20th game this season in double figures.
- Ashton Hagans had 11 points and four rebounds.
- Coming into the game leading the SEC with 6.5 assists per game, he had seven tonight.
- EJ Montgomery had eight points and a game-high 10 rebounds. It is his second double-figure rebounding game of the season.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 328-76 at UK.
- He has a 773-216 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 266-43 against unranked foes under Calipari.
- Kentucky is 149-40 under Calipari in SEC regular-season games.
- He is 10-3 all-time vs. Texas A&M.
- Kentucky held Texas A&M to 60 points. UK is 185-7 (.964) in the Calipari era when keeping the opponent to 63 points or fewer.
- Kentucky shot 52.2% from the field (24 of 46). It is the eighth game this season that the Wildcats have made at least half their shots. The Wildcats won all eight of those.
- UK made a season-high 11 3-pointers, making 11 of 22.
- The Wildcats have made at least 50% of their 3-pointers in four of their last six games
- Entering the game leading the SEC at 79.2% at the foul line, Kentucky made 10 of 11 free throws (90.9%).
- UK has made at least 75% at the line in 11 straight games.
- 11 free throw attempts tied for the fifth fewest in one game in the Calipari era.
- Kentucky won the rebounding 31-23. UK is 18-0 this season when winning the rebounding.
- UK led by as many as 14 points. UK is 281-7 (97.6%) in the Calipari era when leading by at least 10 points at any time in the game.
In the First Half
The starting lineup consisted of Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards for the 13th time this season. UK is 11-2 with the lineup.
- Nate Sestina, Johnny Juzang and Nate Sestina were UK’s first substitutes at the 10:10 mark.
- Both teams started hot. By the first television timeout at 15:01, the teams had combined to make 12 of 16 field goals, including 7 of 7 on 3-point shots, as UK led 19-14.
- Kentucky stretched the lead to 11 points at 36-25 before TAMU made two free throws to send the count to 36-27 at halftime.
- UK is 18-2 this season when leading at intermission.
- Quickley had 16 first-half points.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the opening lineup.
- UK got the first five points of the second half to stretch the lead to 41-27.
- An 8-0 TAMU run cut the lead to 44-38 but Quickley answered with a pair of 3-pointers from the left corner.
- With UK ahead 57-44, TAMU got two 3-pointers to make it 57-50 at the 3:52 media timeout.
- As he did on Saturday against Florida, Quickley forced in a shot late in the game as the shot clock expired. Tonight, his desperation banker at the 2:03 mark made it 59-50. On the next possession, Quickley’s eighth 3-pointer of the game effectively sealed the outcome at 62-51.