Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
LSU at Kentucky, Rupp Arena, Lexington, Ky.
February 7, 2017
Final Score: #15/12 Kentucky 92, LSU 85
Team Records and Series Notes
• Kentucky is 19-5 overall, 9-2 in the Southeastern Conference. LSU is 9-14, 1-10 in the SEC.
• Kentucky leads the series 88-26, including 44-5 in Lexington.
• Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats travel to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to take on the Crimson Tide on Saturday at 1 p.m. The game will be televised on CBS.
In the First Half
• Kentucky started the lineup of Isaiah Briscoe, De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Wenyen Gabriel and Bam Adebayo for the 16th time this season. UK is 12-4 with this lineup.
• Fox opened the scoring with a 3-pointer on the game’s first possession, extending UK’s streak of 999 consecutive games with a triple.
• Gabriel took over the next few minutes as the freshman forward scored 11 of the team’s next 13 points as UK built an 18-4 lead.
• UK went to halftime with a 43-27 lead with Gabriel already scoring a career-best 16 points.
In the Second Half
• UK scored the first five points of the half to make it 48-27 but the Tigers roared back with 10 straight points to pull within 48-37.
• LSU eventually got as close as 10 points at 53-43 but got no closer.
• Ahead 55-43, Briscoe scored UK’s next eight points.
• The Wildcats led by as many as 25 points on two occasions.
• LSU rallied within 91-85 in the last minute but ran out of time as UK posted the 92-85 win.
• UK is now 205-4 (.981) under John Calipari in games leading by at least 10 points.
• Kentucky is now 38-8 under Calipari (.826) in bounce-back games after losses.
• Kentucky made 21 of 26 at the free-throw line, tying a season-best 80.8 percent.
• After losing the rebounding battle at Florida, the Wildcats bounced back with a +14 margin tonight, outboarding the visitors 40-26.
• Calipari has a 681-192 (.780) on-court record, including a 236-52 (.819) mark at UK.
• Kentucky has an all-time mark of 558-66 (.894) in Rupp Arena.
o UK has won 45 consecutive games in Rupp Arena vs. unranked opponents.
o UK is 131-6 (.956) at Rupp Arena under John Calipari.
• With all players available, Kentucky was back at full strength for the first time since the Jan. 17 game vs. Mississippi State. At least one player had missed the previous five games because of illness.
• Freshman Wenyen Gabriel had a career-high 23 points, tying his personal bests for 3-pointers made (3) and free throws made (6).
• Gabriel added eight rebounds and two assists.
• UK is 7-0 this season when Gabriel scores in double figures.
• Freshman Malik Monk tallied 23 points, continuing his streak of double-figure scoring in every game this season. It’s also his 14th 20-point game of the season.
• Sophomore Isaiah Briscoe had 14 points, all but two coming in the second half.
• Freshman Bam Adebayo had eight points and a game-high nine rebounds.
• Freshman De’Aaron Fox had 16 points and a game-best six assists. He tied his career high for steals with three thefts.